Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Tires

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailer Tires

On a Single axle boat trailer does help your tire wear if you rotate the tires?

Post Thanks / Like

No, unless your axle is bent.

Post Thanks / Like

It will on mine, for whatever reason. The outside edges are wearing faster than the inside. I'm gonna remount and switch sides(to keep the tires running in the same direction) to even them out.

Post Thanks / Like

That's possible under inflation of your tires.

Post Thanks / Like

My axle actually has a slight bend (camber I think) to handle a heavy boat. Unfortunately, my boat is not heavy enough to straighten the axle and the outside of both my tires wear faster than other areas. Keeping the tires at 50 psi helps the problem but does not eliminate it.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by talltimber View Post
    It will on mine, for whatever reason. The outside edges are wearing faster than the inside. I'm gonna remount and switch sides(to keep the tires running in the same direction) to even them out.
    I've had that happen also, but you have to do more than rotate, as you stated. The tires have to come off the rims and be flipped.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
    I've had that happen also, but you have to do more than rotate, as you stated. The tires have to come off the rims and be flipped.
    OK.

When you buy them ready mounted, which tire goes where?
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Brooksville, FL (Originally from Terre Haute, IN.)
    Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you have them balanced. I had my trailer rebuilt by a trailer dealer who installed a new axle and tires. There was a slight vibration when I drove to my mechanic. He asked my why they didn't balance the tires. Simple, they didn't have a machine. He balanced them for me and what a difference. I have used the trailer for 6 months and the trailer travels great. My tire pressure went to 35 instead of 50 and I have noticed additional wear to the inside of both tires. Increased the pressure to 50. Will check more offen. Low tire pressure is the number 1 problem that can caused problems.

Chuck
    Last edited by chuckauten; 02-25-2009 at 12:13 PM.
    From Steve Wunderele - 10-2-84 --"A fishing trip maybe brief, but it's memories are endless."

Post Thanks / Like

To correct my ambiguous statement: Mine are wearing on the outside EDGE of both tires. Take rims off, take tire off, flip tire, put tire/wheel on opposite side.

I have a hunch that it would run out more evenly with a heavier boat. I'm not going to add weight to combat the tire problem though. It's not that big of a deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chuckauten View Post
    Make sure you have them balanced. I had my trailer rebuilt by a trailer dealer who installed a new axle and tires. There was a slight vibration when I drove to my mechanic. He asked my why they didn't balance the tires. Simple, they didn't have a machine. He balanced them for me and what a difference. I have used the trailer for 6 months and the trailer travels great. My tire pressure went to 35 instead of 50 and I have noticed additional wear to the inside of both tires. Increased the pressure to 50. Will check more offen. Low tire pressure is the number 1 problem that can caused problems.

Chuck
    Right ON! I have my tires balanced also.
    Billy Deuce

Fried Crappie.... "The real thing".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast