Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Got an itch and a plane ticket...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Got an itch and a plane ticket...

...and I'm lookin to make a trip to the lake that has the best chance at a really big crappie and the best time of year to catch one on that lake. Not interested in cast and retrieve fishing. I've seen some comments extolling the virtues of some lakes in MS and AZ. How 'bout it...where would be the best place and time of year? Will plan to fish 2-3 days/nites.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kentucky Lake

I'd go to Kentucky Lake in early April if I was you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Everything's bigger in TX... well at least as far as Crappie!

Hey Kunes, you might want to check out Lake O The Pines, TX in December. You would have a VERY real shot at landing a 3lber or better down there. They just sleigh them deep trolling in the Winter down there. Tons of 2lb fish. If you catch 10, most likely 2 or 3 of them will be 2lbers! It is really that good! Beautiful place too! Only draw back is that TX license's don't come cheap. I think it was $43 for an out of state, 5 day pass if my brain is serving me right.

If you do decide to go there, stop in to the Johnson's Creek Mini-Mart near Johnson's Creek on the North side of the lake. You will want to find the owner Wild Bill. He will give you the heads up on just where the fish are hitting, and also feed you the best barbQ brisket you've ever tasted for less than $5.00! Luck to ya wherever you decide to go.

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
    Hey Kunes, you might want to check out Lake O The Pines, TX in December. You would have a VERY real shot at landing a 3lber or better down there. They just sleigh them deep trolling in the Winter down there. Tons of 2lb fish. If you catch 10, most likely 2 or 3 of them will be 2lbers! It is really that good! Beautiful place too! Only draw back is that TX license's don't come cheap. I think it was $43 for an out of state, 5 day pass if my brain is serving me right.

If you do decide to go there, stop in to the Johnson's Creek Mini-Mart near Johnson's Creek on the North side of the lake. You will want to find the owner Wild Bill. He will give you the heads up on just where the fish are hitting, and also feed you the best barbQ brisket you've ever tasted for less than $5.00! Luck to ya wherever you decide to go.

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Thanks for the tip Rippa. I used to live in Tx and loved every minute. My son lives in Austin so it would be a good chance to fish with him. I'll check it out some more and if your suggestion is chosen as my dream trophy crappie trip I'll send you a nice 8X10 glossy of me holding a big crappie....FREE! :D
    One taste of the bait

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

no doubt my answer would be Grenada in early April. Without question. When 7 crappie averaging 3 pounds to win a tournament, no doubt. I would guarantee in 3 days you would catch a 3+ pound crappie, if not bigger.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

I gotta agree with David on this one. I have been thinking about making a trip up there myself. That's some very impressive fishing. The guys who won that tourney had 3 more fish in the live well to weight for the hell of it. Their 10 fish weight was over 29 lbs if memory serves me right. That would definately be a good day at the lake. Good luck were ever you go and let up know how you do!
    LET IT RIP!

Post Thanks / Like

That Grenada looks pretty good too. Might have to take 2 trips I will post on the appropriate state message boards to get more info. Thanks for the replys.
    One taste of the bait

hawkman is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kunes
    ...and I'm lookin to make a trip to the lake that has the best chance at a really big crappie and the best time of year to catch one on that lake. Not interested in cast and retrieve fishing. I've seen some comments extolling the virtues of some lakes in MS and AZ. How 'bout it...where would be the best place and time of year? Will plan to fish 2-3 days/nites.
    ...and I thought I was doing something coming to Wylie to catch one over a pound!
    Crappie fishing is my lighthouse of sanity in an insane world,
    It keeps me from crashing on the rocky shores of everyday life.
    Crappie.com is my beacon of light!