Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often should I

Post Thanks / Like

Default How often should I

add grease to trailer wheel bearings? I go about 80-100miles almost every weekend.
    I don't fish because I want to, I fish because I HAVE to !

Moma tried real hard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Racoon View Post
    add grease to trailer wheel bearings? I go about 80-100miles almost every weekend.
    Sure wish some one would give some information on this, I've been putting a couple shoots of grease to mine about every other month but I don't get to put as many miles on mine as you.
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Post Thanks / Like

Bearing buddies will tell you. Otherwise, I would give it a couple shots every other week or so. Without bearing buddies, you won't know you've greased it too much until you've blown the seal

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Do mine once a year. Take it completely apart...clean with carb cleaner....check for pitting and water damage...repack and put back together with new grease.
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

My Triton trailer says to grease after every use. They must own stock in a grease or seal producer. The "bearing buddy" system on it is different than any other that I have had, though. The front side has a rubber plug that seals the housing. Remove that to access the zirk and the whole thing appears to be an open unit where the excess contaminated grease can flow out the front instead of blowing a seal.

Frequency really depends on your hub setup. If your seals are good so that you are not losing grease, you won't be able to add much without blowing a seal.

Post Thanks / Like

What Scrapper said and use the high temp green grease for those hot days.
    It's not the numbers or the size, it's the time spent on the water!

Post Thanks / Like

I check mine bearing buddies every month or so than add as needed

Post Thanks / Like

I drive ~100 miles a month and shoot grease into it about 1/month. 3 pumps each hub. I annually take the hub apart and repack it.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a matter of preventive maintenance. You should add grease when the hubs need it. How do you know if the hubs need grease? Pull the dust cap and look for water intrusion. If you see any telltale signs of water, remove and repack the bearings with grease.

Do not fall for the "add grease when needed" bit. The space inside a hub is limited. Once you add more grease than can occupy the hub, it starts blowing out the inner seal. When that happens, you get water in the hub every time you immerse it in water, and you have to add grease everytime or risk ruining a bearing and axleshaft. And for that reason, bearing buddies do not promote proper maintenance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Smith View Post
    I think it's a matter of preventive maintenance. You should add grease when the hubs need it. How do you know if the hubs need grease? Pull the dust cap and look for water intrusion. If you see any telltale signs of water, remove and repack the bearings with grease.

Do not fall for the "add grease when needed" bit. The space inside a hub is limited. Once you add more grease than can occupy the hub, it starts blowing out the inner seal. When that happens, you get water in the hub every time you immerse it in water, and you have to add grease everytime or risk ruining a bearing and axleshaft. And for that reason, bearing buddies do not promote proper maintenance.
    i agree
    The fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast