Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wheeler Refuge White Springs Unit

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wheeler Refuge White Springs Unit

Going North on 31 through Decatur you cross over the bridge (Tenn. River) and bear to the right (565) as soon as you come off the ramp I've seen several trucks with people fishing there and even a few small boat trailers. I stopped today and asked a man fishing how he was doing, but didn't get a response. I left it at that. I was just wondering if anyone had fished it before?

Post Thanks / Like

ive done good there after a big rain, yeah some hard nosed folks over there lol, ive always wanted to put a little boat in there, but never got around to it,,,but after a big rain you can fish the area to the keft side of that little road and wear the fishes out, never done any good any other time though

Post Thanks / Like

I have fished in there several times. About 1/4 of a mile it opens up.The water is usually pretty clear. I've caught some fish in there,but they are poor.

Post Thanks / Like

I stopped by again and decided to walk down that creek. It took a little while to walk it, but it opens up into what looks like a small lake. There are trees sticking up everywhere. Is that the area you caught those crappie in? I may try it as soon as this cold front passes.

Post Thanks / Like

If you turn at the gas station on the left headed towards Decatur ( I think it's a Texaco) and follow this road all the way down you will come to a road that cuts to the right. This road will take you to a dike that is down from where you stopped the other day.

Post Thanks / Like

What's Up Scotty - Glad to have ya here
    David McCarley

Post Thanks / Like

I put my Nucanoe in on the left side at the gate and paddled back to the dike fugeman described and back last week of Feb.. Round trip a little over 3.5 miles. They actually built a small lake in the 1st opening and I think they named it in honor of Larry Chandler according to the DU newsletter. Paddle a couple hundred yards more and it splits at a second opening before narrowing down. There were a couple of trees across in one spot that I couldn't paddle under so I had to pull around. Plenty of brush though. Keep me posted if you have any luck, I didn't catch anything.