Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Best Lighted Bobber.......

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Lighted Bobber.......

money can' buy: That's cuz you gotta make it yourself. I was going to enter this as a "how to" in the Feb. contest, but there are so many good story tellers here that I figured I didn't have a chance with this boring stuff, so here goes:

I just started seriously fishing for crappie last spring, and up her (NY) we do a lot of night fishing, so I was looking for a lighted bobber, and couldn't find anything I liked. Besides I didn't feel like paying 8 bucks for a bobber. Liked the little Thill bobbers, just had to find a way to light it up. Bought a few and started experimenting, drilling was a disaster, and gluing impractical. While fooling around I gave one a twist and lo and behold the balsa float came loose from the plastic shaft...BINGO! From there it was easy. Some of my friends thought I was really innovative, the ones that knew me better said that I was just cheap.

OK so here's how: The photos are pretty much self explanatory.

Need:
    Bobber Thill ($1.09)
    light (Rod N Bob led) ($3.99)
    pliers or vice
    5 min epoxy
    toothpick
    vinyl (electrical) tape

Take your little Thill bobber and pull the spring off. Pad the jaws of pliers with cloth, grip the shaft near the bottom of the float and twist. The float will break free and you can just pull it off.

Cut about an inch or so off of the top end of the shaft. Trial fit the light to adjust it to the depth you want.

Mix up a little epoxy, and put some on the lower shaft and push it back in place. There will probably be a little excess around the base, smooth that around to seal where shaft enters the float. Take care not to get it on your fingers, if you do vinegar will clean it up. Take your toothpick and dip it into the epoxy and use it to put a thin coat on the inside of the hole where the upper shaft was. This will seal the balsa float and keep it from getting waterlogged. Make sure you put a little anywhere the paint has chipped.

Let er dry and you are about done. Wrap a little vinyl tape, about 1 1/2 wraps should do it, trim for a good fit and press the light into the hole, and that is it. Put the spring back on and you are good to go. You can make it a slip bobber by leaving the spring off and drilling a little hole near the bottom of the shaft.

Have fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Terry

Post Thanks / Like

I just use these:

Thill Float Night Light

Post Thanks / Like

Rather than a lighted bobber try light below on your line,that draws fish,then you can florstick the rod tip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiman View Post
    Rather than a lighted bobber try light below on your line,that draws fish,then you can florstick the rod tip.
    Hmmmmm... Interesting:rolleyes:. What color, How do you attach it to the line, On a dropper loop??
    Terry

Post Thanks / Like

I keep a dozen of them lights on hand.... they make awesome lighted nocks for bowhunting also!!
    Was that a bite? Forgot what they feel like!

Post Thanks / Like

Just use a blacklight it will shine your line and most floats.

Post Thanks / Like

Attaches by running line through the eye on top then behind the band on bottom.Setup a lighter test leader so if hangup/breakoff occurs you will not lose the light.These emit a white light,fish only see shadow images so they are color blind therefor color of light not important.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=crappiman;708932]Rather than a lighted bobber try light below on your line,that draws fish,then you can florstick the rod tip.[/QUO

Just ordered a couple, hope they get here before ice out to give them an early try.:D
    Terry