Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I love Humminbird SI technology

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why I love Humminbird SI technology

We had a pretty decent day yesterday and I took the time to play a little with the side scan. In the double image the left screen capture is a large school of carp. If you look close you can see they group tighter and each mark is long and slender. On the right capture you can see what a school of nice crappie look like on the Humminbird. At the time we were trolling beside and behind another boat that was trolling crank baits and I was able to capture one on the side image. It shows as a solid line and is running right above the crappie school. They were catching a few but had they been fishing just another foot or two deeper you can see how they would have been right in the middle of the school. In the magnified image of the same you can even see the tails on the fish and what direction they are pointed. I imagine the troll direction over this school would work better going with the fish than against them also.

We ended up culling fish and left with a nice limit mostly caught near the bottom in 14 to 18 feet of water. Many fish were over 2 pounds. Finally things have settled down again out west and this years bite is turning on in a big way.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 1197 and new to it though so please explain what I see in that last pic? I am talking about the dark area being above the blue area; how did you get that? Did you flip that pic?

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I flipped it to make it easier for guys to interpret. So many guys that look at the split image have trouble figuring out whats what. Flip it for reference and many things become clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Nice pics and really nice crappie catch!

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry but one more question...what did you have your sensitivity set on? Like I said it is very new to me and I am still trying to get it like I need and want it.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

The water yesterday was just a little stained so I left it in auto, but sometimes I get clouding on one side or the other and need to adjust the sensitivity slightly lower to clear up the image. For most water the auto selection works well. Also set your range as needed for best resolution. If you are only interested in stuff close to the boat set it for 30 or 50 feet or even just to scan on one side but it will use the entire screen to do it and things are much clearer. If you just leave it scanning at 150 feet to both sides but are only fishing in 12 feet of water its going to be hard to see much clearly.
    Last edited by Jumping Cholla Jigs; 02-23-2009 at 03:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks and I have not tried the auto yet. I have changed between 50' and 75', but you are probably right and I should even cut that down some in shallow water. In 20' of water I can see the 50' or 75', but the more I think about it this time of year (here they are already in 6'-9' of water) I should cut that down to maybe 25' each side.

Thank you,
    Skip

Peak Vise Dealer

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

good info.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Question? Where you running the big motor or troling motor. Or what was you speed? Those are some nice fish , for the desert.

Post Thanks / Like

All screen captures were done with the trolling motor at a speed of .8 to 1 mph.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast