PDA

View Full Version : Why I love Humminbird SI technology

Jumping Cholla Jigs
02-23-2009, 02:08 PM
We had a pretty decent day yesterday and I took the time to play a little with the side scan. In the double image the left screen capture is a large school of carp. If you look close you can see they group tighter and each mark is long and slender. On the right capture you can see what a school of nice crappie look like on the Humminbird. At the time we were trolling beside and behind another boat that was trolling crank baits and I was able to capture one on the side image. It shows as a solid line and is running right above the crappie school. They were catching a few but had they been fishing just another foot or two deeper you can see how they would have been right in the middle of the school. In the magnified image of the same you can even see the tails on the fish and what direction they are pointed. I imagine the troll direction over this school would work better going with the fish than against them also.

We ended up culling fish and left with a nice limit mostly caught near the bottom in 14 to 18 feet of water. Many fish were over 2 pounds. Finally things have settled down again out west and this years bite is turning on in a big way.

http://members.cox.net/jumpingchollajigs/NUCLI-EYE/carp-and-crappie.jpg

http://members.cox.net/jumpingchollajigs/NUCLI-EYE/carp%20and%20crappie.jpg

http://members.cox.net/jumpingchollajigs/NUCLI-EYE/P2220005.jpg

skiptomylu
02-23-2009, 02:27 PM
I have the 1197 and new to it though so please explain what I see in that last pic? I am talking about the dark area being above the blue area; how did you get that? Did you flip that pic?

Skip

Jumping Cholla Jigs
02-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Yes I flipped it to make it easier for guys to interpret. So many guys that look at the split image have trouble figuring out whats what. Flip it for reference and many things become clear.

skiptomylu
02-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Thanks! Nice pics and really nice crappie catch!

Skip

skiptomylu
02-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Sorry but one more question...what did you have your sensitivity set on? Like I said it is very new to me and I am still trying to get it like I need and want it.

Skip

Jumping Cholla Jigs
02-23-2009, 03:22 PM
The water yesterday was just a little stained so I left it in auto, but sometimes I get clouding on one side or the other and need to adjust the sensitivity slightly lower to clear up the image. For most water the auto selection works well. Also set your range as needed for best resolution. If you are only interested in stuff close to the boat set it for 30 or 50 feet or even just to scan on one side but it will use the entire screen to do it and things are much clearer. If you just leave it scanning at 150 feet to both sides but are only fishing in 12 feet of water its going to be hard to see much clearly.

skiptomylu
02-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Thanks and I have not tried the auto yet. I have changed between 50' and 75', but you are probably right and I should even cut that down some in shallow water. In 20' of water I can see the 50' or 75', but the more I think about it this time of year (here they are already in 6'-9' of water) I should cut that down to maybe 25' each side.

Thank you,
Skip

Billbob
02-23-2009, 04:47 PM
good info.

foul hook
02-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Question? Where you running the big motor or troling motor. Or what was you speed? Those are some nice fish , for the desert.

Jumping Cholla Jigs
02-23-2009, 05:44 PM
All screen captures were done with the trolling motor at a speed of .8 to 1 mph.

Kman
02-23-2009, 05:53 PM
JCJ, thanks for taking the time to post those. Post as many as you can cause you just don't know how valuable it is to guys that are just learning to use their Si units....like me! Heck, mine isn't even here yet. But its comin this week!
When you post a pic like that then explain it, that is good stuff!

Thanks again!

BTW, In the last pic the one you flipped, I can clearly see the school of crappie scattered all over the black section and that is cool. :cool:
However, what am I looking at scattered over the lower blue section? Is that "shadows" of the fish or a different school, or bait, or interference or what?

Thanks!

Jumping Cholla Jigs
02-23-2009, 07:20 PM
I just took the same pic and added some lines to depict certain things. The red lines are drawn to show the individual fish and their shadow (lack of return). The yellow lines show which fish "may" be making the shadows but since they are off to the sides and their relation to the bottom is unknown I just don't know which fish it is. A fish close to the bottom will make a shadow close to it but the viewing angle from the boat could make that same shadow appear a long ways out. The fish closer to the boat will have a shadow under then just as a fish a little further from the boat will that is close to the bottom. The large group of white mark (fish) that is lower in this picture is the main body of fish in this school that was a little further away and so their shadows would be off the screen unless I had the range set to 100 feet or so. The problem with setting the range out further though is that it crunches all of the information into less space so it is much harder in sunlight to see any detail so I find my personal preference is to only look 50 feet away at a time and sometimes I only look to one side to get as much detail as I can. Lets say you are only interested in spawning fish that are close to shore and are trolling along shore about 50 feet away. Since you aren't interested in whats to the deep water side of the boat switch the sonar to only look off the shore side of the boat and you will get much more detail in the limited screen size.

http://members.cox.net/jumpingchollajigs/NUCLI-EYE/Copy%20of%20S000582.jpg

blueball
02-23-2009, 07:46 PM
whic humminbird are the pics from

ifish
02-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Did anyone notice how fat those crappie are ?

Cane Pole
02-23-2009, 10:01 PM
I like these gadgets. Ima gadget addict.:o

Cane Pole
02-23-2009, 10:02 PM
Did anyone notice how fat those crappie are ?

Might be a BIG GRIZZARD SHAD......:p

Jumping Cholla Jigs
02-23-2009, 10:39 PM
I only have the 797csi.

Don G
02-24-2009, 08:22 AM
Great pictures & explanation....Now, what kind of boat is that?? I like what part I can see..

Crappie Gobbler
02-24-2009, 08:33 AM
Thanks,JCJ! I am a new 997 user and this helps out alot to see pictures and explanations on them. Keep them coming.:)

Kman
02-24-2009, 09:57 AM
Yep Thanks!!!!

blairarnold
02-24-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm amazed!

Release to the Grease...
02-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Nice pics, thanks.

PanMan_VA
02-24-2009, 03:14 PM
I like these gadgets. Ima gadget addict.:o

Me too. I think the electronics I have (Hummingbird 997C @ $2k and Lowrance LCX-27C @ $K with the broadband sounder to be added soon @ $572) are finally worth more than my boat. With wiring, switches, fasteners, fuse holders, and fuses, I'm sure I approach $4K in electronics.

I spend more time looking than fishing but love it.

bttmline
02-24-2009, 04:20 PM
I have a $20 haircut on my .10 head. I'm with you PanMan. My electronics are worth more than my boat. My wife wants to know when I am buying a FISH RETRIEVING Dog. I told her that would take the sport out fishing.

Jumping Cholla Jigs
02-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Great pictures & explanation....Now, what kind of boat is that?? I like what part I can see..

Its just my VERY old POS Ranger that I put a urethane deck on last year. I think she's 30 years old now, but its paid for and I put my money into equipment instead of looks. LOL She can catch fish with the best of them still and is not terrible on speed either. Can run 52 with full wells and gear for 2.

Cane Pole
02-24-2009, 06:20 PM
I have a $20 haircut on my .10 head. I'm with you PanMan. My electronics are worth more than my boat. My wife wants to know when I am buying a FISH RETRIEVING Dog. I told her that would take the sport out fishing.

10 cent head? Hmmmm

Ya head worth more than my hold body. My wife tells everyone I ain't worth 2 cents.:o

SpeckWick
02-24-2009, 06:30 PM
This is a great thread. SOme great info for those of us new to SI or still waiting to get one. I'm getting mine next week and can't wait. I'm glad to see those pics are from a 797. I'm getting the 798 and was a little concerned that it wouldn't be as good as the larger models. Yours from the 797 look great so I'm no longer worried. Keep the pics and info coming. You just helped me so much in this post compared to a lot of info I've looked at elsewhere. Thanks.
And bttmline, don't feel bad about your $20 haircut on your 10 cent head. I am 33 and haven't enough hair on my head to warrant paying someone else to cut it in 5 plus years. But I tell my wife that all the money I save on haircuts pays for all my new fishing toys. Somehow, though, she doesn't see it the same......

blueball
02-24-2009, 07:32 PM
yeah thanks also for pics

ERNEST PATY
02-24-2009, 07:50 PM
Very good work. How do you know the first group were carp?