Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: question about boats

Post Thanks / Like

Default question about boats

I have been looking at a few different boats trying to make a decision on which one to purchase if i decide to. I dont know a lot about boats to know which one would be the better deal as far as quality and pricing. I know everyone has personal opinions but for the most part let me know how you would rate these as to the better deal. 2006 Triton 1756 SC with a 60 hp 4 stroke merc $10,500 2007 Stratos 176XT 70TLR motor $12,900 1996 javelin 90hp $4,200 1999 Bumble Bee with a 1989 merc 150 $6,900 1997 javelin 20 400TE 200hp Johnson Venom with hotfoot $7,900 1997 Nitro 700lx 90hp tracker $5,800 1999 Triton 17 ft with 90HP and lots of extras $8,500 Or go with a brand new Aluminum CX17 Bass Crestliner with a 75HP Merc 4 stroke for $12,750 What do you think is the best deal?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Now if I had those options there would be no doubt which way I would go. While there are many, many excellent used rigs out there, why take a chance? Go with the new one, IF YOU LIKE IT! If you don't reallly like it now, chances are you never will.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I love Crestliners. They are my favorite metal boat. Very well built and safe, plus they are easy to fish from. I prefer the kind of boat below though. Its safe in larger lakes that get riled up and windy. All you will need is one storm to get caught in with one of those flat boats and you'll wish you'd gotten a deepV with a windshield.

http://www.crestliner.com/Page.aspx/...k-1750-WT.aspx
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 02-23-2009 at 02:53 PM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Just my opinion, but the older the motor the more I would be taking a very hard look and getting someone I trust who is a good outboard mechanic. I hate getting out fishing and the motor will not start. Without seeing them it's hard to form a good opinion so mine is a basic one.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZ View Post
    Personally I love Crestliners. They are my favorite metal boat. Very well built and safe, plus they are easy to fish from. I prefer the kind of boat below though. Its safe in larger lakes that get riled up and windy. All you will need is one storm to get caught in with one of those flat boats and you'll wish you'd gotten a deepV with a windshield.

Crestliner Boats | Brochure
    Crestliner is now owned by Lowe and the boat comes from a Lowe factory. Read this somewhere.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

GRIZZ, i never had any experience with Crestliner boats. SO I did not know whether they were good boats or not. I was hoping someone would let me know. The boat you mentioned, I never really like the looks of those boats and still dont. However, I know what you mean about storms on the lakes and stuff. I fish Guntersville and the Tennessee river some and it can get really nasty out there. I did have a fisher pro hawk 170 it was a mod-v and it held up, but I was scared a few times lol. I really dont like the looks of the boat on the link but it does have some very nice features that i would really like. Thanks for your input. IBNFSHN and Skip, thats exactly what I was thinking, you never really know about a used boat. Other people seem to get all the good deals and good luck with used things, however I would be the one to get a bad one and be out more money than if i had just bought a new one. A friend of mine once told me that boat stood for B=break O=out A=another T=thousand, and that is the truth. I had also thought of buying just a real wide flat bottom john and putting a new 25 hp and a troller motor just for under bridge fishing for crappie and for bluegill, but they want a fortune for those boats these days, hard to get a good deal on one. I thought that was a pretty good price for a new crestliner with a 75 4 stroke. Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

Trust me, through experience if you can afford a new boat....by a new one. I bought a 91 Bumble Bee for $6500.00 about 5 years ago and am the third owner of this boat. I couldn't afford a new rig at the time. The boat was in good shape appearance wise, but had not been used very much. I really like the boat, but seems like every year I have something new going bad on the motor.

I've had two starters go bad, two power packs go bad and most recently two relays for the power trim go bad. Also replaced leaking seals on the lower unit twice. I don't abuse my boat, matter of fact It's very clean and still looks great! But guess since it's 18 years old now, you'd expect to have some problems. Oh the joys of owning a boat.

I'm hopeful when I retire in another three to four years that I can buy a new boat. Maybe by then the ultimate crappie boat will have emerged. One that is rugged enough to withstand rough water and high winds, and lends well to all the different techniques for catching crappies. I would want factory installed seats up front for two fishermen, with a baitwell and livewell in close proximity. The ability to install rod holders on the sides and back for pulling cranks. A motor that is dependable, fuel efficient with enough power to get you across a windy bay or idle down and troll all day without any problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Crestliner has been for quite some time and is still being built in Little Falls MN, they also make Tritons at the Crestliner plant.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2007 Stratos 176XT

I own a 2007 Stratos 176XT, bought it new and I love my boat!!! It has a very stable and dry ride, lot's of room on both decks and lots of storage...I looked at several boats before I bought the Stratos, it was hands down for the Stratos. A glass boat at a tin boat price....

Post Thanks / Like

mike what size motor are you running on that Stratos

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast