Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie & Gill jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie & Gill jigs

Any one out there use 2 jigs at once with one being a normal crappie jig and the other being a gill jig like say a 1/32 or 1/64 hair jig maybe in darker colors? If so I was wondering about which to place where, crappie on bottom due to heavier weight and the gill jig on up the line. I have not done so yet but plan on the next time I'm at the lake. Also any thoughts about gill location now.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ
    Any one out there use 2 jigs at once with one being a normal crappie jig and the other being a gill jig like say a 1/32 or 1/64 hair jig maybe in darker colors? If so I was wondering about which to place where, crappie on bottom due to heavier weight and the gill jig on up the line. I have not done so yet but plan on the next time I'm at the lake. Also any thoughts about gill location now.
    I don't know if it matters, but I put the smaller jig on the top and the larger jig on the end of the line. I really enjoy seeing two fish come up on the same rod at the same time.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

Hello SteveJ....I think Panman VA put you on the right track, I also use the heavier on the bottom anytime I use a tandem rig, not as much for gills, but after a front on a bluebird day for crappie. Seems they prefer a smaller offering in tight cover, so I use both.

Can't help you on what the 'gills are doing, we can't help there unless we know what area/state you hail from. Too much depends on where you are as to what stage they're in, but I wish you the best and welcome to crappie.com. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Default jigs

I live in east central Miss. and mainly fish a small 3500 acre reservoir, max depth around 30 ft except in the creek, maybe 45 ft. I understand about putting the heavier jig on bottom but how about if you are using something like the Tenn, Coleman/Crapps rig with a lead on the bottom. I like the crappie for eating best but my wife thinks there is nothing like brim for eating. I have never had much luck catching brim except in the spring and got to wondering about where they went during the summer and winter.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

SteveJ, you are missing you calling my friend and a chance to make major points with your wife. Summer is bream catching time. They start spawning when the water temp reaches 80 deg and their beds are in shallow water. Now I will probably get some snickers and tee hees over this statement, but it is true. You can smell a bream bed! Especially on a warm humid morning when there is no wind, you pull into a small cove and get a faint whiff of something oily or musky smelling, it is probably a bream bed. I had this proven to me. If you just plain want to catch a lot of them use crickets. Put a small #6 hook on the end of your line, a very small crimp on sinker above it and then a small bobber about 6" above the hook. Now fish the banks as close as you can get. You will catch bream! If you come across a bed and it will look something like black splotches on the bottom anywhere in the bed will do. You can rig up a cane pole or rod and reel for this. I quit using crickets years ago and now just use beetle spins and an ultra lite pole. Again cast up to the bank as close to brush or stump as you can and start reeling in immediately to help avoid snags. This works very well for blue gils and it is a ball. Those little suckers don't know they a little and are a blast to catch. I think I have caught some of everything in the water except carp on them. Even caught a flounder on one while fishing brackish water. Some people prefer wax worms or other things like that but I'm not that familiar with using them. Hope I helped some, but the bottom line, its bream catching time!
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

You are right about smelling bream, Ibnfshn, or at least I think so. Kinda smells like frsh cut watermellon. Usually when they are bedding. You are right on on beetle spins too, my favorite bait for bream, usually orange and black or green and black. Steve, bream are like most fish and usually feed a little deeper in the hotter months but early and late in the day will feed shallow. Try to locate cover in a shaded area during the hot part of the day especially if in deep water. Deep water docks will allways have bream around them too. Good luck with your fishing and keep us posted.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face An old 'Gill fisherman taught me this...

This is outside of tradition, but put the heavier jig on top. You will catch WAY more fish that way! I know that is a bold statement, but it is extremely true. You see, the heavier jig falls just slightly slower than if fished alone. But once it's "quick" fall is completed, the micro jig resumes it's own tantilizing rate of decent. This last 1' or so it falls is painfully slow to the angler, but it's the dinner bell to finnicky fish. I use down to a 1/124th oz micro jig, and couple it with either a 1/32nd or 1/16th most of the time I fish with 2 jigs.

Try it, you will notice a big difference! :p

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Nice post guys. Scuba diving huh.....
    Might have to look into that. It would be nice to go down and really check out the condos. I know you can get the under water cameras, but scuba diving would be cool if the water was clear enought to see the fish hanging out in the condo.
    LET IT RIP!