Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Blind Pony re-opening March 1

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blind Pony re-opening March 1

I am excited to hear this ! it is 2 miles from my house west of Marshall and just north of Sweet Springs.
    If any of you are interested here is a link to the news:
    Marshall Democrat-News: Story: Blind Pony Lake to reopen soon

I don't know how the fishing is going to be but I'm gonna find out :D
    Q
    http://www.facebook.com/quinn.noldner

Post Thanks / Like

NO private boats!!!!!

Only 20 boats!!!!! Electric only!!!!! free for all,,,,first come,,,,

sounds like the public isn't welcome!!!!

Personally, if you haven't gotten my feelings,,,,is this what the conservation department is going to be in the future??? are all the small lakes going to be this way????

This sucks....

Post Thanks / Like

I think the reason is partly because of the zebra mussel problem and this lake is used for breeding palid sturgeon and spoon bills, so the regulations are a little different here.
    Q

Post Thanks / Like

Looks to me like since this lake was specifically reworked with the intent of utilizing it as a hatchery to move fish to other lakes, and they obviously made a huge investment, the restrictions are understandable.

And I doubt that all their lakes are scheduled for similar use (and restrictions).

"The reason for these changes is to minimize the risk of an accidental introduction of zebra mussels into Blind Pony Lake and hatchery. Zebra mussels are an invasive species that clog water intakes and could cause major damage and expense for the operation of the hatchery.

In addition, because the hatchery produces fish that are stocked all over the Midwest, there is additional risk that it could spread the zebra mussels to other lakes and rivers. "
    Teach your kids to hunt and fish and you won't have to hunt for your kids !!

Post Thanks / Like

Hunnewell Lake up north has this same rule about free boats, first come. It also has a hatchery.

Let's see, there isn't any way to filter and protect the hatchery?

If the hatchery doesn't have protection, then we are in big trouble....I don't buy this excuse,,,,

If this is a big problem, all of the lakes used for city's water supply should be closed to private boats.

I don't buy into this....

Post Thanks / Like

If there only true interest is to maintain the lake as a water source for their hatchery operation, why spend the loads of your tax dollars to renovate the lake? Are you telling me that the silt problem was so bad that they were on the verge of not being able to hold enough water to supply the hatchery? I’m skeptical, to say the least.

Post Thanks / Like

Default No Crappie

Well, I walked up into the area and talked to a conservation employee that was working on the picnic area and he said there are no crappie stocked now, only the bass and catfish.
    As far as the lake it self is concerned, I understand that it was made for the hatchery in the first place so as far as any fishing and such I am happy that it is what it is restricted or not!!
    Q