Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tragedy on Lake Clinton

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tragedy on Lake Clinton

Thursday evening on Lake Clinton an 82 year old fisherman was killed and others injured by a pleasure boater driving drunk. Pleasure boater left the scene but was later located by local law enforcement.

The Decatur (IL) paper reported that ponotoon boat with several on board were fishing area close to the marina when at about 9:30 pm when pleasure boat hit anchored pontoon boat. There were 6 people on the pontoon boat and three were transported to Carle Hospital in Urbana and two passengers in the pleasure boat were taken to taken to regional Medical Center.

Please everybody watch out for those who have no regard for the safety of others on the water.

My prayers and sorrow go out to the family of this man. May God's love support them in this time of great sorrow.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

God knows I fear the drunks that run boats wide open on the lake I fish on. I make an effort to not be on the lake when they are on it.
    I hope the drunk gets what is coming to him.

Post Thanks / Like

While drifting on lakes Clinton and Shelbyville I have had idiots run straight at me and then turn and pass within 30 feet or less at top speed. I mostly avoid these bigger lakes where morons run wide open everywhere and try to fish smaller HP restricted lakes on the weekends and go to the bigger lakes on weekdays when they are less crowded when I can. I just don't trust anyone on the water anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems to be a pretty universal problem. It's bad here in Ga. too. What amazes me is the number of boats that are operated at high speeds at night.

Post Thanks / Like

The really upsetting part of this the operator of the pleasure was ticketed and released. I have a hard time understanding that.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Gentelman, I am very sorry to hear what happened on Lake Clinton. This is an example of our laws not being strict enough for blatant stupidity. We all enjoy a couple of beers here and there and these are the type of people ruining that for us. Being a resident of Missouri, I am used to hearing these stories all to often on Lake of the Ozarks, but its sad to hear it happen on a lake like Clinton. My prayers are with the family.

Wardy Guest

I am sure that an investigation continues and that the "ticket" is just the beginning. It will take time for all evidence to be processed. The law provides for felony charges to be filed under OUI law. Felony charges must be filed by States Attorney.

Next time you see a "drunk" or reckless operator... MAKE THE CALL!!! Don't wait for tragedy to happen.

Wardy

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice Wardy
    I personally have local law enforcement phones programed into cell phone. Makes it so my call goes to either Shelby County or Moultrie County Sheriff since my cell phone is out of Decatur (Macon county). This is good to keep in mind in case of medical emergency if your phone is out of another area. Call to 911 can delay getting to closest responder.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]