Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: spinning reels

Post Thanks / Like

Default spinning reels

Has anybody had much experience with the Pflueger supreme spinning reel. If so how do they stack up against the Shimano (sahara, spirex) and the better Daiwa's. I've always used Shimano, but I looked at the Pflueger yesterday and it felt good. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I used a Pflueger about a year ago on a guided trip and liked it -- but not as much as Daiwa or Shimano.

I have bought six reels since that trip: four Shimanos and two Daiwas. I think they're top notch. Their top-of-the-line reels are way above everybody else, and that technology trickles down to the lower-end models.

Post Thanks / Like

The new Daiwas are nice but I think the new Shimanos are crap. Worst bail trip in history. I think for $99 you can't buy a better Diawa or Shimano, especially when it comes to weight. Anything Daiwa or Shimano has that compares will cost at least $160-$250.

Frankly, I think the President is a better reel than anything Shimano has under $250 and at least equivalent to Daiwas offerings under $160. With both reels in my hands the only real advantage the Supreme has over the President is weight, and the President is only $60, and if you get the Gander Mountain rebadged version its only $50. The President may even be a little smoother than the Supreme. Its an amazing reel for the price. Its hard to spend the extra money when the President is so good. I'm using 2 of them on my 2 main rigs right now.

One more interesting quality the president has. It runs smooth no matter what the temperature. I fished those reels in below 0 wind chills this winter and they were as smooth as they were in the heat. My Shimanos and Quantums always stiffen up in the cold.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZ View Post
    The new Daiwas are nice but I think the new Shimanos are crap. Worst bail trip in history. I think for $99 you can't buy a better Diawa or Shimano, especially when it comes to weight. Anything Daiwa or Shimano has that compares will cost at least $160-$250.

Frankly, I think the President is a better reel than anything Shimano has under $250 and at least equivalent to Daiwas offerings under $160. With both reels in my hands the only real advantage the Supreme has over the President is weight, and the President is only $60, and if you get the Gander Mountain rebadged version its only $50. The President may even be a little smoother than the Supreme. Its an amazing reel for the price. Its hard to spend the extra money when the President is so good. I'm using 2 of them on my 2 main rigs right now.

One more interesting quality the president has. It runs smooth no matter what the temperature. I fished those reels in below 0 wind chills this winter and they were as smooth as they were in the heat. My Shimanos and Quantums always stiffen up in the cold.
    Hey GRIZZ, how's the weather up there? A few months back you were testing a reel made in the USA...I don't recall the name...Do you have an update on that particular reel?

Also, I know you and I agree on rods (St Croix) but I hate to hear the report about Shimano reels...I have about 14 of the old & new Shimano Symetres and really like them. Are the President & Supreme really that much better??
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

I think the new Shimanos are crap.

Have not tried the new models. Saw them but was disappointed they only came with one spool.

The ones I bought were the old model Symetre -- got 'em on closeout.

Post Thanks / Like

Presidents come with two spools and carry bag. I have 7 of them and absolutely love them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonG View Post
    Hey GRIZZ, how's the weather up there? A few months back you were testing a reel made in the USA...I don't recall the name...Do you have an update on that particular reel?

Also, I know you and I agree on rods (St Croix) but I hate to hear the report about Shimano reels...I have about 14 of the old & new Shimano Symetres and really like them. Are the President & Supreme really that much better??
    The weather is total CRAP!! What a winter we are having. I'm gonna hit Al Gore next time I see him. The big liar. Where the heck are you anyways? Your always confusing me. I'm slightly losing my mind anyways because of this winter.

Yes the Ardent S-400M. Unfortunately, after having 2 of them I had to conclude that their spinning reel isn't ready for the $150 big time category yet, and at this time I can't recommend people spend their hard earned money on one, yet! There are a few issues that are real deal breakers that they have to fix, but they actually listen, and they are working on it. I'll let you know when we have an American reel that we can proudly say is better or at least as good as the rest. We aren't quite there yet, but if their casting reels are an example of what the spinning reel will eventually be like we have something great to look forward to.

The Pfluegers are excellent. They are smooth, strong, and low priced. I have been using Stradics for years, and then the upper level Quantums. I like the Pfluegers better than both and they are roughly half the price for the equivalent Shimano or Quantum. They are just great inexpensive reels. I want to try some of the better new Daiwas, but I just can't spend the money on them now that I have the pfluegers. There is just no need to. Go buy a President or a Gander Mountain Tournement series reel - same reel, and give one a try. They are only 50-60 bucks. If you want to take a look at another excellent lower cost reel take a look at the Daiwa Exceler. Oz or oz right now there is no better reel for the money than the Pflueger Supreme. For $99 its as light as a Steez, nearly as smooth and tough and is $400 less. The Supreme XT is the exact same reel with a couple very slight improvements that make it better suited to salt water, but its a great reel too. They have a new 2009 reel call the President XT. I'm assuming they gave the president the same salt water ready treatment, but I'm not sure. Should be an awesome reel, but I haven't had one in my hands yet, so I can't say.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 02-23-2009 at 01:59 AM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Pflueger reels are great. Try the Pflueger Trion GX-7's with 6 ball bearings...they are less expensive and very smooth...under $40

Post Thanks / Like

To add to this, I'm looking at the BPS flyer about the Fishing Classic Sale from Feb. 27 to Mar.15 and they will have the President on sale for $49.99 to $59.99 as compared to the now price of $59.99 to $64.99. The higher priced one is the salt water edition. I checked this at the on line store.
    I got one for Christmas and it sure feels smooth to me. Waiting for a little warmer weather to try it out. The older I get, 66 now, the less cold I can take.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

I think Grizz pretty much nailed it. I have several of the Shimano's that are 5 to 10 years old and they are great, but the new ones just don't have the 'feel'. Bought one of the preisdents last year in UL and it is one of the best reel's I've ever used. I only have one Diawa now and it is retired. Well, it's sort of a Diawa. It is from the early 70's. Called D.A.M Quick then.

A day late, a dollar short and two drinks behind.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast