Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check this Micro Lite Reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Check this Micro Lite Reel

I was just browsing around and can across this nice little reel that is really quite loaded for it size.

Bass Pro Shops Micro Lite Supreme Spinning Reel - Model MCLS5FA

Post Thanks / Like

My problem with really small reels like that is that for the type of fishing you need them for you need to watch the line, and these tiny reels kink up the line because of the tiny spools. Personally, I would instead get a Pflueger Supreme 25 size which is only 6.5 oz as opposed to the 7.4 oz BPS reel. Its has a larger spool and is by far a superior reel. Yes its $99 but as far as I have been able to determine its the lightest reel made except maybe the $500 Steez, and its quality, durability and smoothness is unmatched for that price. Even the 30 size Supreme weighs the same 7.4 oz and I think the reel is twice as large. Way better for casting small lures further with less line problems.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I like a bigger spool takes more line when you respool but not as much memory.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink It only takes more line ....

Quote Originally Posted by gone_fishing View Post
    Yes I like a bigger spool takes more line when you respool but not as much memory.
    .... if you strip ALL the previous line off of it

I rarely do that. Instead, I pull off about 1/2 to 3/4 of the old line and connect old/new together, then re-fill the reel.

And Grizz is quite correct ... tiny spool reels are notorius for forcing memory coils into mono (from being so tightly coiled around such a small spool arbor). But, they're really not made to cast long distances with, anyway.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZ View Post
    My problem with really small reels like that is that for the type of fishing you need them for you need to watch the line, and these tiny reels kink up the line because of the tiny spools. Personally, I would instead get a Pflueger Supreme 25 size which is only 6.5 oz as opposed to the 7.4 oz BPS reel. Its has a larger spool and is by far a superior reel. Yes its $99 but as far as I have been able to determine its the lightest reel made except maybe the $500 Steez, and its quality, durability and smoothness is unmatched for that price. Even the 30 size Supreme weighs the same 7.4 oz and I think the reel is twice as large. Way better for casting small lures further with less line problems.
    Grizz you are a man of GREAT KNOWLEDGE and WEALTH (maybe) and don't let that go to you head know.

But one question is that knowledge from trial and error with these small reels or did you just know it.

Thanks for the input for it sure does make sense that those tiny spools would sooner or later cause a memory problem with the line

Post Thanks / Like

Aww shucks. Wait a minute. Was the maybe for the knowledge or wealth? :rolleyes::D

I have had a lot of those tiny reels in my hands, I can't remember one that I'd spend money for and though its possible this one may be different, I kinda doubt it. It may be a better tiny reel than all the rest, but that isn't sayin much. Another thing about those tiny reels. Not only do they not cast very well, they are so small they don't reel in too well either. Kinda like a clown riding one of those itty bitty bikes. What's the sense in even having a spinning reel that small? Come to think of it they might make pretty cool paper weights.

I didn't just know it. The only thing I've ever just known is my mama loves me, oh... and the stimulus plan won't work.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 02-22-2009 at 10:52 AM. Reason: no politics

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. something caught my eye when I went back and looked at that reel. Take a look at the handle and the anti reverse switch, and the drag. They are all the same. Probably the same factory makes both reels and are probably nearly identical inside.

This is the BPS reel - http://hires.basspro.com/is/servlet/...0,0&iccEmbed=0

Reel features: strong graphite body; machined-aluminum spool with titanium lip; gold titanium bail wire; Sure-Click™ bail to prevent premature bail trip; oversized titanium ball-bearing line roller; super-smooth 8-bearing system including PowerLock™ instant anti-reverse; and machined-aluminum handle.

This is a Pflueger President Micro - http://www.great-lakes.org/graphics-...nt-micro_1.jpg

Features Include:

• 7 stainless steel ball bearings.

• One-way clutch instant anti-reverse bearing.

• Aluminum spool and Sure-Click™ bail.

• Titanium coated spool lip and line roller.

• Spare aluminum spool included.

• Left/right retrieve with machined aluminum handle and paddle knob.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 02-22-2009 at 07:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Where is the best place to get a deal on a pair of Pflueger 6725's?
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Post Thanks / Like

Along with other rigs I also use the Bass Pro Tiny Lite reels on 6ft. Micromaster Super UltraLight rods by HT and never had a problem with them.I own 5 of them now.

Bass Pro Shops TinyLite Spinning Reel

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Len. I use the small spinning reels a lot. Never have much problem with memory, as I change line quite often anyway. The small reels balance out my rods.

The 8 bearings on the BPS reel or the 7 on the Pflueger qualify them to be good reels, so I look at the weight.
    Future member of any forum deathb4disco moderates.

Member of Wally Marshall's Mr. Crappie Pro Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast