Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Slow trolling

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slow trolling

I would really like everyones version and opinion of the slow trolling method. I am strictly a crankbait troller and would like to be more versatile, have some ideas on the method, however there is so much info. available on this site that will help me learn a new method much quicker. Lures, speed, depth, line size , etc.,all the variables. Thanks. Possum1
    possum1
    Jack Mullins
    Psalms 46:1

Post Thanks / Like

i use 6# test on 10, 11, and 12 ft poles. When fishing with jigs I usually use a 1/16 ounce jig head with a large split shot 12-16 inches above the hook. sometimes, but rarely i also put two jigs on the same line with one being 3 or 4 ft above the other. i always try to keep the poles evenly spaced and at the same distance above the water so it is easier to detect bites. as far as speed goes, in the summer i typically go as fast as i can while still keeping my bait vertical and at the right depth. in the winter, you obviously must go much slower. the depth on the lakes i fish can vary from 6 or 8 ft on muddy lakes all the way down to 30 ft on the clearer lakes. the jigs i use almost always have chartreuse on them unless the water is extremely clear then i will switch to a more natural color. good luck
    "Give me crappie, or give me death"

Post Thanks / Like

Check out Spider Rigging 101 on Crappiestuff.com. www.crappiestuff.com/spider_rigging_101.html
    Hope this helps.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I have read that article, great info., perhaps I am confused (nothing new) what, if any, are the differences between spider rigging and slow trolling?
    Be patient with me, I am an old dog trying to learn a new trick. On top of that I ain`t too smart. Thanks. Possum1
    possum1
    Jack Mullins

Post Thanks / Like

Spider rigging, slow trolling, multi-pole fishing. Just different names for the same thing. There are just as many different ways to fish like this as there are names for it. You have to do what works for you. Experiment with it and you will have your own way that will be different than any one else.
    Good luck.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default ah ha

Old dog is starting to catch on now, I have been working on a trolling method, and dummy me I didn`t know what to call it. Some one chime in and help me here, I know some one has tried this before. I am using 8 rods in a spider rig fashion, only out the back of my boat, 2-10`, 2-9`, 2-8` and 2-7`, in a staggered fashion to prevent tangles, 3oz. inline sinkers to keep them straight down as much as possible and small one eighth ounce crankbaits, rat l traps, etc. Pulling about .3 mph just enough to make them wobble. When you have a small area such as a hump, point ,rock pile,etc. it is deadly. Any one else doing this or something similar? Possum1
    possum1
    Jack Mullins

Post Thanks / Like

Possum,

I don't have much experience troling crank baits, but that 3 oz sinker seem too heavy. I have read post on hear and some folks let out around 100' to 150' of line when trolling crank baits. However, if your method is putting fish in the boat, then I would stick with what works for you. Good luck!
    LET IT RIP!