Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flourocarbon Anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flourocarbon Anyone?

I have used most brands of mono on my jig poles over the years. My first choice has usually been the original Stren. Also like the Hi-Vis gold Stren. Always had good line strength. Recently put Trilene on couple of reels and it seemed to break a little easier when hung. After several fishing trips bought some Flourocarbon and replaced the Trilene mono. Have only made one trip, but so far I really like the Flouro. Seems to be a little more sensitive and was getting good hook sets on light bites. Was just wondering if someone else with more experience with the Flouro. might have some Pros and Cons I need to know about.....
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the Berkly Vanish for fishing small jigs deep 20' plus, small diameter, sensitive, you can see it. But have had issues with knot strenght and casting, it's seems a bit stiff to me, best knot that I have found is the double clinch.

Post Thanks / Like

Same here Slipbobber, I just bought some Vanish and P-Line in 12# test and I am having a problem tying dropper loops on my trolling poles that have any pull strength to them. I'm wetting the line and all but it seems you loose a lot of strength in the flurocarbon when you cross it back over it's self tying a loop knot and I have tried several types so far the best has been a true dropper loop but a surgeon's knot has done ok but it is no where near as good as regular mono for knot strength IMHO

Slabologist
    "Professor of Slabology 101"

Keep your line tight !

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using fluorocarbon for several years now but not exclusively. I also use some mono and braid. The fluorocarbon is a little stiffer, so I mostly stick to the 4lb test for casting reasons. In the spring when crappie are on the banks in the brush, I'll use a slip cork on 15lb braid and 2' of 10lb fluorocarbon connected by a small barrel swivel and a #4 extra light wire hook and a minnow. With this setup you'll straighten out the hook most of the time when you get hung up. If the hook does not straighten you just tie on another hook. Beats having to go get the float and retie the whole thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Flouro seems to be like braid: you either love it or hate it. I have not used it much but wanted to experiment with it this year. From what I have read, it does seem to help in very clear water for some fish, at least.

Some trout guys swear by it, but they're fishing in water as clear as gin. My waters are not that clear, and I'm not sure that "my" fish are spooked by a more visible line.

Post Thanks / Like

Tried it. OK, but not worth the price given the water down here with the clarity of plywood. Knot strength was an issue for me as well.

Went back to Yozi Hybrid. Best of both worlds. Experimenting with Wally Marshall's line now. Like it, but it's pretty stretchy and not as tough as the Hybrid seemingly. Then again, doesn't have the memory of the Yozuri either.

Also trying some Hi-Vis Power Pro at the moment. Never been a big fan of the Hi-vis even with the dirty water down here. Still, I'm gonna give it another shot.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to try some 6 lb P-Line in the Chartreuse Green on my casting rods. I've heard some good things about it but it will have to beat the Trilene XL that I am currently using now.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Berkley, Pline both good

Post Thanks / Like

For many years for my Regular fishing I've used Bass Pro's Excel line and it's treated me really good!!!!!!!!! For my ultra-lite fishing I always bought a spool of 4 and 6 lb. Berkley XL.

Now there's a discussion going on another brand of lite line and hoping to hear more comments on it.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Brittle, stiff, fragile, expensive, coily, no noticeable bite advantage because of clarity against clear mono's. Used several, hated them all.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast