Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: LOZ Crappie Tournament Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default LOZ Crappie Tournament Question

After a couple of years at my local lakes, I've decided this year I'd try some tournaments. I found a tournament at LOZ (http://capitolcrappieclub.com/Tournament2009-Spring.pdf) that's going to be held at the Gravois Mills arm of the lake. I've heard some horror stories about ocean cruisers kicking up some crazy wakes down there. What I'd like to know or find out, what's that part of the lake like? Is that part mainly for fishing, or am I going to be dodging the Queen Mary and the Titanic there? I've got a 15' bass boat that sits rather shallow in the water and don't think I can handle 4' + waves. I'd appreciate any advice from you guys. Also, if anyone can pass on info or websites about tournaments at LOZ, I'd appreciate it. Thanks..
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Post Thanks / Like

My opinion would be trailer your boat to another part of the lake, unless you plan to fish the upper end of the Gravois arm -- the closer you get to the main lake channel the rougher it will get. Again, this is my opinion only so take it for what it is worth.
    Don't take life so seriously, no one lives through it anyhow!!

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure when that tourn is, but LOZ depends on the time of year and location. During the week, most everywhere is OK, holiday weekends - good time to stay off the water unless you are almost up into the rivers.
    Mark

Pitching jigs, catching slabs, life is good

Post Thanks / Like

In late April, which is when that tourney is, you should be fine, especially all the way in the back of the Gravois. You might see some bigger boats, but they usually start to show up more around Memorial Day. I would be willing to bet that the big boat factor won't be keeping too many people away. I am contemplating fishing in that tourney. I have a 19' fibergalss Nitro which usually does alright, but in the heart of summer I won't be out very far from our palce especially from 11:00 am to about dusk.

Post Thanks / Like

The club that I belong to is putting on the tournament. Like others have said, depending on the weather the big boats could be out. You would be fine fish most all of gravois other parts of the lake. You can fish pretty much any part if your in a cove, but the main parts could get rough. For other tournaments best bet is to check the water patrol website and look at the regattas. I know there is another tournament being put on by Rocky Top Bar and Grill off of Hwy 5 in Laure. I will have more details after today for you. Also there is Crappie rama going out Larry Gale ramp on the Niamgua arm. Also stop in the local bait shops will know or have information on tournaments.

MSWP Regatta Permit Search
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I Live On Loz In North Buck Creek Fish In The Gravois Arm A Lot In A Ranger 20' Bass Boat. The Gravois Arm Has Several Restaurant In It How So You Do Incounter Some Larger Boat Traffic In The Summer. The Time Of Year You Will Be Fishing Most Of Those Resturant Will Only Be Open On Weekends. Watch Out For The Old Lone Cruiser With It Nose Up. They Do Push A Good Size Wake... Nice Warm Weekend You May Be Bussed By A Jet Ski Or Two';/.,';.;/,;
    CRANKBAIT