Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: trolling motor trouble

Post Thanks / Like

Default trolling motor trouble

I have a Johnson trolling motor that has a bad toggle switch. The switch is the one that is under the button you foot goes on on the foot control. The problem is that in Little Rock no one carrys them and I have been told that Johnson does not make trolling motors any more. My question is does anyone know of a web site or dealer that might be able to locate one? I really dont want to have to spend 300 bucks on a trolling motor cause a 5 dollar toggle switch went bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Contact MinnKota. I used to have an Evinrude trolling motor and the same thing happened to mine. I was lucky in the fact my dealer had spare parts but he also told me Minnkota made

that brand. Otherwise there is a guy in Harpers Ferry Iowa who works on both brands. Jack Decker is his name.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling motor switch

You might try contacting Johnson! They are to carry part for a given number of years after they stop making a product incase something goes wrong with them. They are required by law to do this. They should be able to point you in the right direction anyway.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Read this press release from Johnson about manufacturing Minn Kota motors...should explain the interchangeable parts theory.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....ular&id=59890&
    " I believe in compulsory cannibalism. If people were forced to eat what they killed, there would be no more war. " Abbie Hoffman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gooch
    I have a Johnson trolling motor that has a bad toggle switch. The switch is the one that is under the button you foot goes on on the foot control. The problem is that in Little Rock no one carrys them and I have been told that Johnson does not make trolling motors any more. My question is does anyone know of a web site or dealer that might be able to locate one? I really dont want to have to spend 300 bucks on a trolling motor cause a 5 dollar toggle switch went bad.

I just went out to look at my trolling motor, mine is an Evinrude but if it the same as yours. I would take the switch out and off the mounting tab. Then I would go to places like Radio Shack, NAPA (auto parts stores), and Ace hardware. You may have to change the way the wires connect to the switch, but I would bet that they will be able to get you a switch that will work for under $20. The switch on mine is just a normal momentary on/off toggle switch nothing special.I can’t believe that in all of Little Rock that you can’t find this switch, it’s just a matter of knowing where to look.

may your livewells stay full, and your rods stay bent.

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys I am on the hunt. Apparently Bombadier bought out Johnson and they are no longer providing services or advice on there motors or trolling motors past 95. Also the 3 Johnson dealers here in central Arkansas said they couldnt help me. I did find a electrican buddy who took the switch and is going to get it replaced somewere. Thanks again for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

That is what I would do. Remove the old switch and take it to a Wholesale Electronics Store and get a new switch. Then just put it back in and solder the wires back to the switch. Might make a diagram on which colored wires go to which connections on the switch.

I tried to fix my old Motor Guide Hawg trolling motor's switch and got a new switch and the thing still would not work. Heck I replaced the potentiometer, capacitor, resistor and a diadode and the variable speed function would still not work right. I finally figured it must have been something down in the motor wiriing. Then the cable for the foot control broke and I could not find a new cable. I gave up on fixing that thing and gave it to Cane Pole to see if he could find a good use for it.

I went out and broke down and bought a new Minn_kota All Terrain Trolling motor. It's been working good so far.

Hopefully you can find a new switch and get yours working again.

Good luck

Thanks guys I am on the hunt. Apparently Bombadier bought out Johnson and they are no longer providing services or advice on there motors or trolling motors past 95. Also the 3 Johnson dealers here in central Arkansas said they couldnt help me. I did find a electrican buddy who took the switch and is going to get it replaced somewere. Thanks again for the help.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default Same Problem

I took my old toggle switch to the local boat shop and found one that was a little bit larger. It only took about 30 minutes with my Dremel tool to install. I do not like to alter things, but sometimes we have no choice. My TM runs like new again!

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i had one that i had to change . got it from a merc. dealer you need a sealed one for marine. go to this site T M D can tell you what you need and could sell it to you
    Last edited by papasage; 07-09-2005 at 05:45 AM.
    retired and now i will always fish