Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's goin' on?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's goin' on?

Is every one in Iowa Catfishin' or what. I know that I have been. Them Cats is bitin' to good to search out them Crappies.
    Enjoy the time you have with your fishing partners. You never know when the may leave you unexpectivly.

Post Thanks / Like

Good, stay with those greezy cheezy cats. I'm heading for Ratburn tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by herb
    Good, stay with those greezy cheezy cats. I'm heading for Ratburn tomorrow.
    That's not right Herb :D My buddies killed them trolling boards with crank baits for walleye down there last weekend.They stayed in 12'+ water and caught no eye's.They said they were having to much fun with the crappies that they didn't care if they caught any walleye's or not. Go Get Them Herb.
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to try that. Thanks Lee, and I'll report when I get back.
    Leaving now.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, wow, what a trip! When I can take my limit of 25 fish and fill a 5gallon bucket, those are some very nice sized crappies. Largest went 15 1/4", had a couple of those and the smallest kept was 11 1/2". Not sure what the average was. Also had a couple bonus walleyes and wasn't even fishing for them.
    All caught on home made rigs and minnows. Tubes wasn't what they were looking for this time although a few smaller fish were taken on them. I wanted to try pulling cranks but it was too rough and crowded in the better areas.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Atta Boy!!

Sounds like you had an excellent trip Herb. Rathbun has really came back with some quality fish in the last few years. the Spawn of 2000 really was a great one.

How deep were you getting them, and what are of the lake did you spend the largest part of you trip in?

Thanks for the report, and for waking up our board!

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, anywhere from 10' to 18' of water. But you had to get down into the shaded areas of the snag piles. They were not on top of or above them. I'm talking about the bigger fish here.
    You could catch fish just about anywhere on the lake it seemed but I worked the timber piles above Bridgeview the hardest.
    I wanted to get down into southfork but there just didn't seem to be enough time in the day.
    There is a good year class of fish coming up that is in the 7" to 9" range right now. They'll be pretty nice in about 2 or 3 more years if the guys don't load up on them during the spawn-if you know what I'm talking about.
    Got a question for whomever; several of the fish I cleaned were females with eggs that had a very distinct bloodline going through, but the amount of eggs was very small. I've never heard of a second spawn in a given year. Is this possible, or did these fish miss the spawn and were they absorbing those eggs?
    Last edited by herb; 07-11-2005 at 05:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Some fish either just don't spawn, or they spawn alot later than others.
    Enjoy the time you have with your fishing partners. You never know when the may leave you unexpectivly.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh ya. Way to go Herb. I think that we're headed down that way this coming weekend. Should be fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Herb. That wasn't where I thought you would of been BTW, but I did have the right depths in mind. Not nearly as much water lice up in that area as in others. I may head down there before too much longer, just didn't want to be near it over the Holidays. Too many idiots there for my taste then.

I would think that those females are just absorbing their eggs this late. I think it is well beyond even a late, main lake Spawn now. In the South, you maybe could get more than 1 Spawn a season, especially for Bluegill. I highly doubt that occurs anywhere in Iowa though.

Full baskets to ya!
    <,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast