Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uncle Buck's b'n'm poles.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Uncle Buck's b'n'm poles.

can anyone help me with getting a replacement eye for my 12' jig pole?My end one was inadvertantly broken off , and they are put on so well there's no way to reuse it.I love this pole and would love to get it back in action.Thanks for any replies.Eric.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Top eye kits

Most sporting goods stores, even Walmarts and such have top eye kits. The kit has an assortment for different size tips, and a hotmelt glue to put it on.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply shellback.I've tried those and this eye is tiny.The smallest in the kit would maybe fit around the middle of this pole.The one on the very end is so small , it impedes the flow of 4lb. line.This would usually make me not like the pole , but I only use it night fishing tightlining , so it dont have to peel off there in a hurry.I just need to contact the company and get a replacement.I even contemplated taking the rod off at the next eye , but for what I paid for it , my heart aint in it.Eric.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Big E,

Here is a link for B&M Pole Company

I've not bought just the tip eye from them before but I'm sure they will send you one - might want to get several while your at it.

They do offer replacement tip sections - the whole second piece of their two piece poles - at a reasonable cost. I use their poles and usually order a half-dozen tip sections at a time to save on shipping per pole.

My local sporting goods store replaces rod tips for $2.50 and they have a good selection they keep behind the counter - more than what is in the multi-packs on the shelf. They usually have small enough ones for the jig poles.

To get what's left of your old tip off just heat it up with a cigarette lighter. I use Hot Glue to put tip eyes on rods. I don’t use the Hot Glue Gun, just heat the end of a stick of glue and dab it on the end of the pole and then slide the tip on. If you need more time to get it aligned just heat it a little bit more.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Eric, i had the same thing happen to me on more than one of my b&m poles. I searched for a new eye too. No luck either. I emailed the company and they sent me a few eyes. The only problem is the poles dont react/ feel the same. So i ordered new top sections for them. It was around $15. each, if i remember correctly. Check with www.grizzlyjig.com and they'll have them on their website. For me, it was money well spent. Smitty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Replace that tip with a different type if you are smart

I have one of the BnM Jig poles (Graphite 12ft) and the last tip is a "LINE CATCHER". The way that tip is made causes the fishing line to get caught behind the tip's guides or supports on the back part of the metal tip itself. I had to modify mine tip with some JB weld. I built up the surface to make a ramp of sorts so that the fishing line would glide smothly over the back of the tip when the line got wrapped around the rods tip. Now the line slides off the tip instead of being caught behind the rods last guide. It's really helped my fishing productivity. Instead of constantly having to reach to the end of a 12 ft rod to untangle the line I can mearly shake the rod and the line slides off the rod's tip now.

You could either heat the old tip and get it off or maybe just cut the end of the rod off as close to the old tip as you can with a fine blade saw and then melt some glue over the tip and slip on a new smoother tip.

I recommend a tip that transistions from the rod itself to the metal part of the guide as smoothly as possible. Don't get one with humps and bumps that the line can snag on if it gets wrapped around the tip of your rod.

Quote Originally Posted by big "E"
    can anyone help me with getting a replacement eye for my 12' jig pole?My end one was inadvertantly broken off , and they are put on so well there's no way to reuse it.I love this pole and would love to get it back in action.Thanks for any replies.Eric.
    Regards,

Moose1am

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Big E

If you know of a local rod builder, or have a tackle shop nearby, you may try them. Even if they don't have a tip eye that will fit the end of your rod, they may know where you can pick one up. Other than that - contact BnM and ask them if you can get a replacement tip eye. If not, then having them ship you a replacement section is probably one other option. But, if it was me and the tip eye was so small that 4lb line had trouble going thru it - I'd be looking for a tip eye that was a bit larger.
    How much of the end section of the blank broke off ? Do you still have the original tip eye ? If it's just a hair too small to slip back on the blank - you might be able to make it work, anyway. Heat the tip with a lighter or candle flame, while pulling on the broken rod piece. (use pliers or something - the tip will get hot pretty quick) You may be able to spread open the collar of the tip eye with a punch or ice pick ... just enough to get the tip to slip on the rod piece again. Just make sure that the usable rod section isn't cracked or splintered where it broke. Cut any jagged section off the end with a Dremel Tool or sand the end down flat & smooth, if you can.
    I've got a couple of Mitchell Zero Gravity rods - they're carbon rods, not graphite. The tip broke off one of them ... and the ends of these rods are smaller than a pencil lead (the lead of a sharpened #2 pencil will only go thru the tip eye about half way and the rod blank, at the tip, is about 1/2 the size of the pencil lead). But, 4lb line will shoot thru these eyes very easily (it's 6lb line that hangs up in them). So you see - they are very tiny. I removed the tip eye from the broken off piece of rod, and sanded down the broken rod section just enough to force the tip eye back on. A half drop of Super Glue in the tip eye collar, and lining up the tip eye with the other guides .... and it's good to go, albeit a little shorter than before. You might try that ... and even if you fail, or break the rod tip even more - you're no worse off than before, and can still just order a replacement section. .......luckya .......cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone.All of these responses were helpful.I think , now armed with some new knowledge , I'll try to fix it myself again.I think it would still fit in as I only lost 1/8 inch along with the tip.I just haven't been able to get the remainder out.Moose you are exactly right about the line hanging up in that eye.Thanks for the tip on that problem.Eric.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod sections and tips

Feel free to give me a call. I carry the complete B'n'M line of poles.
    765-278-8371
    Patrick / www.gotchagear.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Patrick , Ill give you a call.Eric.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast