Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long term storage of batteries in battery boxes?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long term storage of batteries in battery boxes?

I have 3 12v batteries for my boat. I bought a battery box for each with connectors and power meter. Of course, the batteries all have warning labels saying batteries should be stored in ventilated areas - no problem. But can I just leave my batteries in these boxes? Does doing that that violate the the warning label? Does anyone else just leave their batteries in these boxes all the time, and if so, have you had any problems? Thanks.

Regards,
    Rowland

Post Thanks / Like

skychimp that's why those boxes are made the way they look with the vent duct hole's on the top. I dont use them but there made to vent any acess fumes

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

the ventilation is for your protection . a build up of gass over a battery can cause a explosion . even in the wide open on a hot summer day when the wend isent blowing the gass will float above the battery and a spark will set it off . especialey on a hot day fan the top of battery to blow the gasses away .
    retired and now i will always fish

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Rowland, You will have no problems with those boxes. In fact they apppear to be one of the better made models I've seen. But you may want to consider one other thing. If you plan on having the boat inspected by the coast guard, which is not required for freshwater boats, 2 things have to be done. The boxes must be secured to the deck so the can't slide or tip over and the battery terminals must be covered so nothing can fall on them and short them out. Been there, done that.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Papasage is right, batteries make hydrogen gas which is heavier than air. On hot humid days this gas, which is extremely explosive, can collect in unventilated places. Batteries put out more gas during charging so I reccomend that you take the top off of the battery box when charging. I have one of the boxes that you showed in the picture for use in my jon and I really like it. Good fishing and try not to blow your new boat up. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I learned something I didn't know and will put it to good use. That's what I love about this site. I would have never thought to even ask this question, but someone else did and I benefitted from it. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice, folks.
    Regards,
    Rowland

Post Thanks / Like

Keep us posted on rigging your boat. Some times I think outfitting a boat is as much fun as using it. Have fun and good fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by reelcrappie
    Keep us posted on rigging your boat. Some times I think outfitting a boat is as much fun as using it. Have fun and good fishing.
    Gotta gets me some more money :D
    Regards,
    Rowland

Post Thanks / Like

Been there, done that....no...am there doing that. Money, never ending problem when it comes to gear and tackle. LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast