Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Installing New Steering Cables

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Installing New Steering Cables

We Just Finished Installing New Tel-flex Dual Steering Cables In My Brother-in-laws Boat. A 95 Charger. It Had A Detmar Dual Rack Steering Installed When New, The Guy At Parts Store Said It Would Replace The Detmar, Well Yes And No, It Almost Slid In But We Had To Grind About 1/16" Off Of The Helm Housing To Make It Fit, It Seems Like It Will Be Okay, We Didn't Find The Frozen One Until We Pulled Both Of The Old Ones Out, Or We Could Have Used The Good One And Got By. Anybody Know Where To Find Detmar Cables??? I Went On Line And Couldn't Find Any. I Installed A New Rotary System In My Boat 3 Years Ago And It Wasn't Bad, Had To Re-drill Where The Steering Wheel Mounted....the Instructions Manual Said We Had To Remove The 150 Hp Motor, That Is Pure Bs....i Didn't On Mine Nor On His.....anyone Else With Experence On These Systems???
    Last edited by olesilverside; 08-06-2010 at 12:27 PM.
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of a Detmar system. I replaced the steering on a CC and didn't have to remove the motor. But I did have to on a Bonito bass boat. I do know its recommended you use a dual cable system on a 150 HP or larger.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

It just makes it alot easier if you take the motor off. Especially when you are putting the new cables back in.