Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Picky Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Picky Crappie

Me and my son went fishing this past friday in a nice size lake close to home...thinking the crappie would still be deep we put the boat in and shot across the lake to the deep side of the lake witch is around 20ft...most of the lake is 3-4ft...we drift all diff. levels and we ended up catching only one that was about 5in long...he got cold so we loaded up and helded home...went sunday to a diff lake and much of the same...but we went back to the same lake on monday and to the same spot...we had some minnow (you seen me with nothing)this time and are started drifting again and nothing still...i switched to a 1in pink/white southern pro tube on 1/32 head tipped with a minnow and started nailing them about 8ft down...we got 17 before they turned off so we shot across the lake to where it is only about 3-4ft deep and fished a water outlet pipe and they wouldnt touch the jig...so i took of the tube and used a minnow on the jig head (hands where to numb to retie)and start nailing them again but the thing that got me is they wouldnt hit the minnow unless it was on a jig head they wouldnt take the minnow of a reg. hook...this got me think about how picky crappie really are this time of year...
    Bluff City Tackle Pro Staff
    Touranment Ice & Minnow Ice
    Culprit Pro Staff
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Always Let The :dfish Tell You Want They Want They No Best

Post Thanks / Like

I have some old jigs that I sometimes go to when they are picky. It is very short jig so looks even smaller than it is. The only difference in 1/32 & 1/16 is the head size and they have a silver head tied with red thread and a short chart tail.

The company I got these from doesn't even make these any longer, but they are killer. So I say find a jig that may still have enough hook (maybe size #6) and just make sure it looks very small. I wouldn't go to the #4 Sickle hook for this as it will make a 1/32 look much bigger than it is. Just my opinion here though.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

snake River is offline Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you skip the crappie in Oregon are very fussy sometimes we always carry what I call micro Mini jigs into one 64th in even smaller we have hardly any feathers or hair on them sometimes the fish do not want any action at all we have used nylon which is very stiff and sometimes it knocks them dead but I carry a variety of jigs every time I go out with different tales hair or marabou or whatever it takes
    Last edited by snake River; 02-18-2009 at 10:29 PM.

www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snake River View Post
    I agree with you skip the crappie in Oregon are very fussy sometimes we always carry what I call micro Mini jigs into one 64th in even smaller we have hardly any feathers or hair on them sometimes the fish do not want any action at all we have used nylon which is very stiff and sometimes it knocks them dead but I carry a variety of jigs every time I go out with different tales hair or marabou or whatever it takes
    Hi snake River,

I also have 1/64 and even some 1/80 and have regular bend hooks as well as sickle in them too. So Don't have to give up all my hook size to go small. However I sill have the little jigs I talked about above and they work. I didn't tie them, but I like them.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, crappie around here are completely finiky! At least you nailed them. I have not caught a limit since the Fall.

It's time and I'm ready!!!

aj

Post Thanks / Like

im going back friday and then prob not again till next wed. but i have made up some 124oz,100oz,80oz and 64oz so i have a lil bit of everything...ill let you guys know how i did this time around and how they are acting now
    Bluff City Tackle Pro Staff
    Touranment Ice & Minnow Ice
    Culprit Pro Staff
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Theirs days when they hit anything you throw at em and the next you can't buy a hit, part of the mystery of fishin!! Besides if we ever got 100% efficient at catching them it wouldn't be any fun!!!!!!!

Fatman