Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Clear Water Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Clear Water Crappie

The lakes I fish are very clear and hard to catch crappie. What jigs/bait is good in clearwater? Any advice on clear water crappie would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I too fish some mighty clear lakes. I like to use 2lb and 4lb test fluorocarbon and 1/32oz and 1/64oz jig heads. I do some jigging in clear water but seems like they bite better long line trolling slowly.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with sea-sons, especially the long line trolling
    I can only wish to be as good as my dog thinks I am

Post Thanks / Like

If You Aer Vertical Fishing Use A Longer Pole Pole Such As 14 Ft That Keeps You Away From Cover So You Dont Spook Them.
    Or Fish At Night.

Post Thanks / Like

During the summer pulling cranks baits is the way to go or night fishing with a light.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

On Lake Monticello, which is a very deep clearwater lake, in the summer we use 4# fluoroclear P-line and 1/32 jigheads with BG baby shad or shiners. They suspend 12-18 ft deep in the summer. We spider rig with 16 to 18 foot trolling rods to keep from spooking the fish. In the winter when they are 50-60 ft deep shorter poles are fine and we use jigs only and 6# line is ok. I have also caught them pushing crankbaits a couple of times last fall but have just now finished obtaining all the stuff needed to do that the way it needs to be done. I will be working on that technique a lot this summer. I have not tried longlining jigs yet but also want to give that a try.
    From the ARK-LA-MISS Delta....... Crappie Paradise ! ! ! !

Post Thanks / Like

Long rods, light line and tiny jigs are the answer for the most part.

During the spawn, they hit anything, more on reflex and clear water has little affect since they are buried in the buckbrush or under lily bads.

Long lining very small road runners or Bandit 300s in the summer, will do the trick as well.

aj

Post Thanks / Like

Lure color selection is very key in ultra clear water. I have done best with these 3 colors in clear. Smoke/glitter, clear/glitter and blue/clear/glitter. There are many variations and glitter colors for those color combos. Green, red, blue colored glitter gives you some color options. Experiment a lot because especially in clear conditions color choice can make all the difference.

The same goes for cranks and jerkbaits in my experience as well. Natural colored, match the hatch lures as opposed to bright colored catch more fish in clear water lakes or rivers.

You may want to try these colors in small swimbaits like Mimic Minnow or Big Hammer if you local fish get over 12 inches.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 02-19-2009 at 04:18 AM.
    Good things come to those who bait.