Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deeper Water Mark Line

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Deeper Water Mark Line

Okay A Lot Of You Probably Already Do This, Or If You Are Like Me I Won't Pay Big Bucks For A Line Counter Real, We Have Been Putting A Sharpie Or Magic Marker Mark About 3" Long On Our Wally Marshall Line At About 25' Then The Crappie We Are Catching Are Between 20' And 28' So We Just Watch Where The Mark Is On Our Rod Some Time They Hit When It Is At The Tip Other Times When It About To Go On The Reel.... Speeds Up Deep Fishing Times.......
    Last edited by olesilverside; 08-06-2010 at 12:27 PM.
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

Good tip. Thanks.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know what I would do without my sharpie markers!

Another tip to go along with that is to make some tick marks along the side rail of your boat so you don't need to carry a tape or guess the length. I have marks in two foot increments from 10' to 18'.

I hook my jig at the rear of the boat and stretch it along the side rail to the appropriate measurement to mark my line.:D
    Progressive Marine Insurance SUCKS!. If you hit a submerged object they will try to prove manufacturers defect....stay away from them.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 10ft rod with baitcast reel & have my rod marked at 1ft off the handle so I just count out the depth there biteing & mark my line & I'm set to go. I use HiVis seige orange line & the black mark is easy to see.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jiggin View Post
    I use a 10ft rod with baitcast reel & have my rod marked at 1ft off the handle so I just count out the depth there biteing & mark my line & I'm set to go. I use HiVis seige orange line & the black mark is easy to see.
    JustJiggin, I guess you must not feel that the line color has any effect on the fish? I've always been curious about that. I would think that the colored line might have some effect on the fish but I guess I'm probably wrong since you seem to know what your doing. Give me your thoughts if you get a chance. Do you always you always use this color line? Thanks in advance.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, rather to skid in sideways, body used up and totally worn out screaming 'WOO~HOO what a ride!'

Post Thanks / Like

Default Color Line Advantage

I Used Gold Stren For Many Many Years, Then Along Came Wally Marshall Flo. Line And It Is Much Stronger In The 6 Lb. Size. I Went To A Seminiar At Sport Show Several Years Ago And Had A Pretty Heated Dispute With The Speaker When He Said You Should Use Clear Line, Had To Tell Him He Was Full Of #$^&. My Partner And I Used To Place A Lot In The Top 3 Teams In A Lot Of Tournaments Back In The Early 80's And That Is All We Used........had To Tell Him Them Ole Crappie See That Line And Go Check It Out, Find There Is A Jig Or Minnow There And Hit It....... Have Never Heard Of The Line Jj Is Talking About, Sounds Good.......
    Last edited by olesilverside; 08-06-2010 at 12:27 PM.
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

The black mark is a good idea. I know that the reels I use take in and let out 16 inches per turn so I flip the free spool lever and do that math as a let the line out by turning the reel handle backwards tell I get the jig down where I want it. Works for me so long as I don't have to count to high!

Post Thanks / Like

I use bright orange embroidery thread knotted on my line to mark off the 10 foot depth. It can be adjusted and also used as a bobber stop when I need to use a slip bobber.

Post Thanks / Like

I just started to use a sharpie to mark my line last year and now it's something thats always in my boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Heard ole Wally Marshall talkin about his Hi-viz yellow line once and someone asked him if it scared the fish.He said sure did yesterday,it scared a whole limit right into my livewell.:D. I have used it for years and i wont go without it.I watch my line on the fall and you can see that tick you just wont see with clear line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast