Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: johnson 30 1989

Post Thanks / Like

Default johnson 30 1989

1989 30 hp Johnson, is cold natured and doesn't idel well, it runs wide open great i want to do some work on the carberator does anyone have any tips should i take it off and clean rebuild, i am pretty mechanical so i think i could do the work, or should i take to a mechanic, i also was wonder if any one had some documentation on that motor they could scan and send to me on the rebuild

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Outboard carbs are very simple compared to automotive. Best to take them apart and clean thoroughly with solvent and compressed air. Reassemble with new gaskets and needle/seat. Rebuild the fuel pump while your at it. Thats another easy job. When done do a link & sync but you will need a manual to do it properly. Sorry, none of my manuals cover your motor. Sometimes you can luck out and find them on Goggle Books.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

kencook.com for a johnnyrude manual..thats an original...not a reproduction of what is supposed to be there.

Here is a video of a guy rebuilding a carb on one also...its pretty good.

meegsonline.com

Like IBNFSHN said...clean, clean, clean...I would soak it over night myself.

You really need the manual to know how to set the float also...the video show's it I think.

You can do the link and sync yourself with a cheap timing light and a manual. Let us know if you have any questions.

But by all means get the manual.
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

after studing and pondering over the motor issue i decided to take it to a local shop that has one owner which is the salesman and the repairman and has been doing it for 60 years great reputation so we will see how it goes may be as good as new i hope

Post Thanks / Like

I Had Problems Getting And Old Outboard To Run Properly. I Took It To A Couple Of Shops. 1 Rebuilt The Carbs, The Other Cleaned Them And Said They Ran Great. Both Times It Still Just Wasnt Right. A Buddy Told Me His Neighbor Could Fix It. Heis Neighbor Was An Old Man That Has Just Fixed Stuff All His Life. He Looked At It And Told Me To Leave It With Him. He Took The Carbs Off Took Them Apart And Boiled Them. He Said Just Cleaning In Chemicals Wont Get All The Varnish Out Of The Crevases Inside. He Boiled It Put It Back Together And It Ran Like A Brand New Motor.

Post Thanks / Like

i did get it to a mechanic, not knowing i had a blown head gasket and he trued up the head and replace the gasket went through the carb and checked the water pump all for the rate of $128 i was pleased with that price.