Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Standing timber

Post Thanks / Like

Default Standing timber

Will the crappie hang out around standing timber as much as they will around brushpiles?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Yea!

Post Thanks / Like

I find the big fish can be caught in multiples around brush..they get deep in the stuff...standing timber has not held more than 1-2 big crappie at a time usually fo rmyself..give me a mess of brush or timber and its ano brainer...

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to catch more in brush. Standing timber will hold them, but brush is better, in my opinion.
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

i fish lakes with both a tend to pull bigger ones off lay down timber on the bottom...stick ups have fish on the as does brush but with you find a under water log you in heaven
    Bluff City Tackle Pro Staff
    Touranment Ice & Minnow Ice
    Culprit Pro Staff
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

standing timber is really good in the summer and early fall for big fish but they are 1 or 2 a tree, but keep bouncing from tree to tree....mid fall through early spring tends to be better on brush for me personally, but i know that is not the case everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

I generally catch more in the brush, but I have sure had some outstanding exceptions to that.

Post Thanks / Like

So are some trees better than others. At the lake I fish there is about forty acres of standing timber on the west end of it. Would I want to target trees by the river channel or out in the middle in 10ft. of water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NoMinners View Post
    So are some trees better than others. At the lake I fish there is about forty acres of standing timber on the west end of it. Would I want to target trees by the river channel or out in the middle in 10ft. of water.
    I think that would depend on time of year and water conditions. I fish one area with standing timber in 4-8 fow. Conditions determine what depth I fish. Most of the fish I catch are NOT on the timber, but on horizontal limbs, logs, etc. Any where you can find horizontal crossing eachother or standing timber, fish the "cross".
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

Standing timber is one of my favorite places to hang out in the warmer months. The larger the trees the better. Fishing the shady side, it always helps to have a tree that casts a good-sized shadow.

Cypress trees are my favorite.

Given trees or brush, I'd give brush the nod. But right now, in the winter, neither is doing the job for me. C'mon Spring.

aj

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast