Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Bandits

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Trolling Bandits

I need some feedback on trolling Bandit crankbaits. I was told to never troll them over 2mph for crappie. Some have told me from 1.2 to 1.9mph and it seems 1.7 or 1.9mph is a good speed. This is just what i have been told. I use the 300 series Bandits and i am wondering will this get the crankbait down deep enough? It is hot outside and i figure the crappie should be deep. I fish KY Lake. I was trolling Bandits other day between 2 and 3mph and caught sauger and stripes.

While i am at it on speed, what do most in here troll Road Runners, jigs, or grubs? I am guessing and think i am at just below to just over 1mph and not over 1.2mph. Thanks for any help and this is a great site.

Post Thanks / Like

Been trolling Bandit300's on Hamilton at a variety of speeds, anywhere from 1.5 to 3 mph. Mostly catching both black and white bass and hybrids and only a few crappie. To my best estimation, a Bandit300 at 1-1.5mph should run about 8ft. deep. At 2-3mph they will run as deep as 12ft. deep. A few times I've gotten busy in the boat and the speed topped 3mph. When this happens the bait begins to tumble and twist your line, get the hooks tangled, etc. A few times when running at 2.5 I ran across a point that was 11-12ft. deep according to my sonar and I could see the rods bouncing. When reeled in, the hooks had moss on them.

Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Welcome aboard

Bingo, I'm one of the hard-core crankbait trolling junkies on here-
    It sounds to me like the speed advice you've been getting on Bandits
    is just right. On 10-12 lb line with 75+ feet out, you should see 16-17'
    deep with a 300 series, which to me should catch fish to 20 feet or so.
    I hear of folks letting out a lot more line, and it does seem to help with
    spooky fish (so do planer boards) but in my experience they don't go any
    deeper past 75 or so feet of line out. I don't do it personally, but have
    seen people put 3-4 ounce inline sinkers a few feet ahead of the bait if
    you need to go deeper. Fishing on a river-run reservoir, you probably
    won't run into the thermocline situation I do on Bay Springs, so it won't
    be a problem, but that is some guesswork on my part. (Never fished Kentucky)Send me a PM if you like,
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I also run them out 150 or so feet. The shorter the run the harder and deeper they will run.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Bandits

Bingo,

I troll the bandits 50 yds behind the boat and try to maintain 1.5 mph with a 10 hp motor. Seems this keeps them down 10-12 ft. Sometimes when I troll, I'll remove the back hook and tie on a 3-4 ft leader with a 1/16 oz jig with either a curly tail grub or a tube with a minnow. Seems the bigger bait will get their attention and they will nail the jig following it. I've caught crappie, bluegill, bass, stripes and white bass on the trailer jig. I have, but not very often, caught fish on both the bandit and jig when going thru a school of fish. Just another suggestion you might want to try.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish crankbaits all summer. I like the 200 series on some days when there is cloud cover. People think crappie don't get shallow in the summer time they are wrong. I go to eight pound Cajun Line it's got a red color to it and cannot be seen. I use 12ft Wonderpoles to keep the baits out from the boat. I catch over 1000 crappie a year on cranks and some days they like it fast some days slow your doing fine.
    Brad Whitehead
    BnM ProStaff
    WarEagle ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

I am still learning about crankbaits but here in Central Illinois, the thermocline usually is around 10 feet, so a crankbait running deeper than that would be useless.
    Is there something special about Bandits or do Shadraps, Rebels, or some of the other similar crankbaits work as well? Is there any special areas to run these crankbaits over like main lake point areas or crrek channel ledges?
    I can tell how well my crankbait is running by watching the rod tips. When I am running the correct speed, the rod tip twitchs in a rythmic manner.
    And, colors, are there colors that work better than others. These crappie are following gizzard shad around here, so I would assume gizzard shad colors would work best.
    To be honest, I have had better luck drop shotting minnows for crappie than trolling crankbaits, but I may not be holding my mouth right trolling. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a little puzzled by some of the running depths reported -
    Maybe I'm doing something different, but I know I can bump bottom
    hard in 15 feet of water with a 300 and only 75 feet out -
    I do know that any type of trailer will make them run a lot shallower.
    I rarely run any type of tandem setup 'cause tangles in the net are so
    much worse, and most days it just ain't necessary. I've had 4-5"
    Crappie try to tackle some lures bigger than the Bandit. As for the
    Shad Rap and other lures, whatever works - For me the Bandit and
    Bomber deep flat A are good, like the Hot-N-Tot too. I have tried
    the Grappler shad with 0 results so far, and not much luck with any
    of the other more minnow-profiled baits. As for colors, I have had
    dissapointing results most of the time trying to match the hatch -
    loud chartreuse and hot pink work alot for me. Occasionally I use
    a pearl/blue back or grey/glitter, but most of the time its chartreuse.
    Chrome has only been good for catching white bass for me.
    I'm pretty sure the optimum speed to get the most depth is pretty slow-
    less than 2 mph. But go with what the fish want. Why I like fishing
    this way so much is that you don't have to stay on the lake everyday
    to keep up with the fish (gotta work!) If I'm completely out of touch,
    I'll start out with at least 4 different colors and at least 2 depths,
    make a half mile long pull, if they ain't there, try somewhere else.
    It usually doesn't take long to put together a pattern (and a mess of fish)
    Oh, and do take time to make sure they are tuned to run straight -
    if they are pulling off to one side they won't get down where they
    need to be.
    Last edited by J White; 07-06-2005 at 10:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Chartreuse and hot pink, OK, I will certainly try some that color. I will have to buy some bandits that color, I presently don't have any of that color in my tackle box. But, to be honest, those would be the last I would pick unless they are what works. I won't know until I try some.
    As I said before, I don't have my GPS hooked up yet, so I have to estimate my speed, but I can watch the rod tips and know when I am at the correct speed or digging into the bottom. I do think it has alot to do with color, maybe more than the lure manufactuer. You sure have me wanting to try again with some different lures. It seems like as soon as I can figure it out, it will be easy the next time.

I do appreciate the tips we are getting and I want the tipsters to know it goes both ways, maybe I can give you a tip sometime.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ok

Quote Originally Posted by Redtick
    Chartreuse and hot pink, OK, I will certainly try some that color. I will have to buy some bandits that color, I presently don't have any of that color in my tackle box. But, to be honest, those would be the last I would pick unless they are what works. I won't know until I try some.
    As I said before, I don't have my GPS hooked up yet, so I have to estimate my speed, but I can watch the rod tips and know when I am at the correct speed or digging into the bottom. I do think it has alot to do with color, maybe more than the lure manufactuer. You sure have me wanting to try again with some different lures. It seems like as soon as I can figure it out, it will be easy the next time.

I do appreciate the tips we are getting and I want the tipsters to know it goes both ways, maybe I can give you a tip sometime.
    Just remember that what I tell you colorwise, its what works here -
    it may be different in different color water, different lakes! Don't want
    anyone mad at me! I have had success at times on black, white, Texas red,
    some others, but it is not near as often.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast