Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trailer Repair

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailer Repair

Does anyone know anyone that works on boat trailers in the Jordan lake area (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill)? I brought my boat back from many years at the beach and it needs new bunks, Axle and hubs.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a boat repir shop on US 401 S of Fuquay. Don't know if he does this kind of work, but he is really good on boats and very reasonable. I'll get his name and number and post it .

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Tripp, you could probably save yourself some money and do it yourself. Pretty much everything on a normal boat trailer is very easy to work on. The hardest part is cutting all the bolts. I changed the springs out on mine about a month ago with a hacksaw, a few wrenches and several cuss words. Only took about 2 hours and had to cut every bolt I encountered. Mine too came from the coast. You can get the parts pretty cheap from Northern Tools or probably an Agri-supply. You'd be surprised at how easy and cheap you can repair a boat trailer. An electric grinder to cut the bolts would just make it a breeze.

Another good idea is to have a spare hub kit to go with your tire. No telling when a hub/bearing is going to burn up on you. Those can typically be replaced in less than an hours time with the tools and jacks on hand. Then you won't have to miss a days worth of fishing. I keep a rubbermaid box in my backseat with a spare hub kit, all the tools, jacks and stands that I would need.

Post Thanks / Like

The hardest part is what do I do if I can not get all of it done in one day. I have to take my boat off and put it in the water to work on the trailer. then I am screwed...

Post Thanks / Like

Don't try to do it all in a day. Do the axle, hubs, new hardware etc. with the boat on the trailer, jacked up on stands. Then to replace the bunks, launch the boat, let me go fishing, and call me when you're done. :D

Post Thanks / Like

I have a galvanized trailer for sale. Rated for 3000 lbs and up to 20 foot boat.
    Very good condition, good tires, bearing checked and packed and seals replaced 2008.
    PM me if interested.