Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Gelcoat cleaner

Brooksville, FL (Originally from Terre Haute, IN.)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gelcoat cleaner

I have tryed a couple of supposed cleaners for gelcoat. Not doing a great job. Has anyone had good experiece with a product?

Chuck
    From Steve Wunderele - 10-2-84 --"A fishing trip maybe brief, but it's memories are endless."

Post Thanks / Like

For oxidized gel coat try this Pro-Tec Care Products.

It's good stuff but will take some "elbow grease" to do a whole boat!

They have a whole line up of auto, boat, and rv care products.

PB Wht. Crappie 2.48 lbs 02-12-2011

Post Thanks / Like

Try using the Meguairs final detail to wipe off. Its part # 3401. You want to take a clean rag , spray on boat then wipe off. It will clean it real good and still leave some wax and you can also use a good marine wax to go over it.

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Chuck...how bad is it?? I have a post in the main forum on wetsanding and refinishing....will be way on back though...probably 7 or 8 pages. Do you have any pics of it??

I know there are products out there that probably work...I've seen some wipe on/ wipe off products but many only cover up the oxidation...it will come back. If you wet sand and get rid of it....then compound, polish, seal, and wax...you won't have any trouble.
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chuckauten View Post
    I have tryed a couple of supposed cleaners for gelcoat. Not doing a great job. Has anyone had good experiece with a product?

Chuck
    What is it you are trying to remove? If it's just water staining, I'd try vinegar before anything else. If it's oxidation, you either need to remove the oxidized gelcoat by sanding or compounding, or live with it.

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...storation.html

Here is the link to the last one I worked on. The only thing I am going to do from now on is use the sealer before I wax. This sealer can be purchased from Pro-Tec...use it before you wax and this will help your shine stick around longer.

Main problem with oxidized gel is damage has been done....just like with your skin...it will take more work to keep it looking nice than it would've if it never got oxidized in the first place.

Hope this helps some.
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15