Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is berkley gulp minnows worth the price?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is berkley gulp minnows worth the price?

I have heard good and bad about those things. Do they work and do you use them only if you dont have live bait? If there is another thread about these things please direct me to it.

Post Thanks / Like

I think they are crap. I have 4 bags of them and have never caught a fish on them. I use them when I don't have minnows, like today, and didn't catch a darn thing. Again.
    Small Boat Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I assume you are referring to the Berkley Gulp minnows in the jar with their "juice". I have wondered the same thing. They are right pricey! If they work, I would buy some. Maybe someone has experience with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slipped Cork View Post
    If there is another thread about these things please direct me to it.
    I think Grizz has posted that he has used them and liked them. You might try a search using his handle.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Price in not a relative term in fishing jargon.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Default I like them!

They work, I do not know if it is the smell or the action. The tail will really flicker a lot at a very slow retreive. I do catch more catfish by accident, I think it is cus they smell it. They also shrink in cold water and get stiffer so they do not last so long before you got to swap em' out for a freash one.
    Are they worth the price? I do not know, they are just easier than dealing with minnows.

Post Thanks / Like

waste of money
    plain jig will out fish every time for crappie
    saugers won t bite them either
    Yodibuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, I have slaughtered walleye, crappie, perch, and smallies on the 2.5 inch Gulp minnows in packets. I've even gotten trout, steelhead, and a few real nice catfish. Only the Alive versions come in the buckets. They are the exact same product except for the packaging. You get more for your money in the packets. The buckets are too much money.

As far as them catching fish. It kinda depends whos usin them just like any other bait. They work great. Some people just don't know how to make em work great.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I slaughtered green carp on Gulp Minnows presented on a #6 red Mr. Crappie Abredeen hook fished freeline. I caught tons of spotted green carp on them when used on a jighead @ Lanier.
    Oh I could wrestle a monster fish

Post Thanks / Like

it depends on the type of fishing....i agree with grizz...by the packets...not the buckets....you can even get the juice in a spray. those things are soaking in anything sitting in that juice.

they don't outfish live bait....it is easier because you don't have to change after every fish.

we bought a bucket of them on our way up to rainy river for walleye fishing. we got them in 3" shiners. and i caught one small mouth....the rest of the time, the walleye wouldn't even sniff them. all we were doing was sweep jigging and lift and drop jigging.

if you are trolling or drifting the walleye will react bite... and they work well for that....

for crappie i'm not sure its worth it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast