Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Removing oil injection

Post Thanks / Like

Question Removing oil injection

Can anyone tell me the procedure for removing oil injection on a '88 115hp Mariner ? I understand that there is more to it than just putting oil in your gas and removing the unit. Is there some rewiring than needs to be done?

Thanks for any help.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If your oil tank has a low oil level alarm then the 2 blue wires coming from it should be disconnected. The pump should also be disabled so its not running dry. Is this a Merc Mariner?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

IBNFSHN is right. Also make FOR SURE...when you disable it. Mix your gas BEFORE you disable it. Mix 50:1 in your tank...then start on muffs. Let it run till she smokes like a freight train. Don't worry....she will eventually. THEN you can disable it. If not...you have to run ALL the fuel from the carbs, lines, filter, etc.....BEFORE you get ANY oil to the engine.

Other than that its not that big of a deal.
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. I bought a pontoon boat last summer and have been rebuilding it. I was told the engine hadn't been started for at least 4 years and I am a little concerned about the oil injection system. Any other suggestions about what I need to do before cranking it? The boat is finished now and it's time to start on the engine. I suppose it's a Mercury Mariner. It doesn't say Mercury any where. It has a grey housing with orange stripes that wraps around from the back, with the word Mariner on each side but it does have the Mercury 'head emblem' on the back. It's a straight 6 cyl.

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Read and heed by the following article found at iboats.com
    Awakening a sleeping outboard; by BoatBuoy - iboats Boating Forums
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Scrapper. That was exactly what I needed. I really appreciate it.
    I hope to get this boat in Norris Lake sometime next month and watch a some bobbers !
    I'll make sure I post whenever I get to fish. I'm really glad I found this site. Lots of good info from a lot of good fishermen.
    Thanks again.