PDA

View Full Version : Minnow size?

slabbandit
02-15-2009, 11:43 AM
What size minnows do the live bait guys use this time of year? I'm thinking about using some as I'm not doing very well on just jigs alone right now.

Barnacle Bill
02-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Small

STUMP HUNTER
02-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Small

rieve
02-15-2009, 12:23 PM
#4's

BULLFROG-1
02-15-2009, 12:50 PM
always small on a pole

centerdriver
02-15-2009, 01:05 PM
#4???? Never heard of that term before. I use as small as I can get most all the time, with or without a jig. Only time I go to med. is for deep, open water fishing in the fall in Texas.

centerdriver
02-15-2009, 01:07 PM
Speaking of minners in general, I got a question. Down here in Florida, they sell them by weight. Quarter pound, half pound and so forth. Do any other places sell them that way?? Where I was raised it was all ways by the dozen. (At least down here, I get a lot more minners for the price...since I use small ones.)
Dusty

shuorc
02-15-2009, 01:13 PM
mixed small and medium, by the 1/4 #, don't seem to matter if they are feeding in the grass and pads.

TapOut64
02-15-2009, 01:22 PM
I use small minnows. The best way to figure it out is to cut open the crappie's stomach when you fillet them and see what they are eating. I have found that the crappie that I catch are feeding on the exact type minnow I'm using as well as the same size.

Fatman
02-15-2009, 01:24 PM
small they seem to work the best right now

Fatman

coastal bend
02-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Down here in south texas the bigger the better. Most crappie fisherman buy the bass minners(what they call the bigger minnows). It is not uncommon to catch crappie with 3 to 4 " shad in there throats durning the summer. When I started using 3" rock top tubes I caught bigger crappie and less dinks than with 1.5 " grubs. Maybe this time of the year might be different. I know summer time bigger is better.

Eager Beaver
02-15-2009, 03:26 PM
Down south may be different, but up in the midwest and above we use the smallest minnows we can get this time of year. Especially if your putting them on the back of a jig. If you are jigging with them and the bite is slow, make a small slice on the minnow with a knife so it will add to the scent of the bait, and move it ever so slowly so the scent is spread out in the water. I do this ice fishing and in the early spring if the bite is slow. If they bite it they will hold on longer to the offering. EB

dedawg1149
02-15-2009, 03:35 PM
big ,bigger,biggest

CrappiePappy
02-16-2009, 07:56 AM
... as I rarely fish until March, if then. But, if & when I do get minnows to use ... they're usually about 2.5" long (if I get Tuffies/Fatheads). But they're usually a mixture of sizes, and therein lies my dilemma :p as it is not uncommon for me to catch the biggest fish on the smallest, or biggest, minnow in the batch :D

We used to be able to get them locally, by the doz or by weight, but I don't think that store is even carrying minnows, any longer. The places I fish in Tenn & Ala, all go by the doz.

I don't sweat it much, on size of minnow ... I've had 2+lb Crappie hit a 1" minnow, and a 5" Crappie hit a 2.5" minnow :eek: Plus, I don't use minnows as a primary bait, anymore. Now they're more of a Plan B ;)

... cp :cool:

Eager Beaver
02-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Speaking of minners in general, I got a question. Down here in Florida, they sell them by weight. Quarter pound, half pound and so forth. Do any other places sell them that way?? Where I was raised it was all ways by the dozen. (At least down here, I get a lot more minners for the price...since I use small ones.)
Dusty

There use to be a few places around here that sold them by the dollar amount. Just ask for $5.00 worth and they would last for several trips.

DRPEPPER
02-16-2009, 01:29 PM
Slab
I would say small in the Spring and Larger in the Fall simply because of the spawn in the Spring and they grow larger through the summer. But, larger on Nimrod or Conway and smaller on the clear lakes seems to be the rule too. Jerry and Darryl taught me to use the smaller ones on Greeson. The rest of it is my own philosophy.
DP