Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4th of July Crowds

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy 4th of July Crowds

I generally try to stay away from going fishing from a boat during the 4th. It is just too crowded. It is also dangerous. People who rarely get out and don't know the rules of the water are racing around like Dale Earnhardt on speed.

Here locally we just had a youngster killed when her father came too close to an overhanging limb while riding their Skido or whatever it is called. It glanced off him, but his daughter riding behind him took the full force and you can imagine what she looked like.

There are dozens and dozens of near collisions as well. Nope, I'll just stay home until the madness is over.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep I agree with you, I dont fish the 3 major holidays. To many idiots and rookies on the water. Also I have found that each weekend before and after is usually less crowded.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

That's for sure. The lakes around here are sure tore up. I'm looking forward to tomorrow. The lake should be calmed down some.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

All I can say is get there real early and have your fishing done by 8 AM.
    I caught these crappie today. Nothing special but nice on the Fouth of July.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I got out at 7 this morning and was done by 11. Skiers and pleasure boaters got there at 9:30 and the onslaught started. What i do on holidays is get there early and fish the spots i know i wont be able to fish later. After the onslaught begins i go to my spots in the no wake zone and fish them for a while. C&R over 40 crappies today. Kept 20 that were 11"s and better, with 3 that were 13"s. Even in the no wake zone i had boats with families, crowd me off a couple spots, as their kids wanted to catch some fish. Since i already had enough for dinner i gave them the spots and i even gave them some crappie nibbles to help them out. didn't stick around to see if they caught any but hopefully they did. Do your homework and find some brush or stumps,or even rocks, in the no wake area, and you can catch some fish on the holidays.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Truman Lake was fairly quite

We went down to my fishing buddy’s, who lives with in a few miles from a ramp on Truman Lake. We got down there about 9:20 yesterday morning, it was cloudy and cool. We couldn’t hear any boats on the lake, so we got the boat out and went to the ramp. I think there were maybe 4 trucks and boat trailers (all fishing boat trailers) at that ramp, little wind. We got to the water at about 10:30 and only seen 1 Jet Ski and a couple pleasure boats on few mile boat ride to where we fished. By the time we went in for lunch the pleasure boating had increased a little, but not to the amount that I’ve see on non holiday week ends. When we went back out in the afternoon it was abut the same. The only thing that would have been any better would be if we found some larger crappie. I think we only had three keepers and they were 9 ¼” to 10” and one white bass. I joked with my fishing partner, that we have found the hatchery and the adults should be near by some where.

may your livewells stay full, and your rods stay bent.

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stray
    We went down to my fishing buddy’s, who lives with in a few miles from a ramp on Truman Lake. We got down there about 9:20 yesterday morning, it was cloudy and cool. We couldn’t hear any boats on the lake, so we got the boat out and went to the ramp. I think there were maybe 4 trucks and boat trailers (all fishing boat trailers) at that ramp, little wind. We got to the water at about 10:30 and only seen 1 Jet Ski and a couple pleasure boats on few mile boat ride to where we fished. By the time we went in for lunch the pleasure boating had increased a little, but not to the amount that I’ve see on non holiday week ends. When we went back out in the afternoon it was abut the same. The only thing that would have been any better would be if we found some larger crappie. I think we only had three keepers and they were 9 ¼” to 10” and one white bass. I joked with my fishing partner, that we have found the hatchery and the adults should be near by some where.

Which ramp did you use? Look for the fish in 10-15 on the bottom in the flats next to trees. I thought about going to truman this weekend but decided to pass, will hit it this weekend thou.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

i stay away from the water on all weekends..i save yard work and house chores for sat & sun....its nice to be able to choose when to fish when your retired.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ak-moose
    i stay away from the water on all weekends..i save yard work and house chores for sat & sun....its nice to be able to choose when to fish when your retired.....
    Very true indeed, I'm looking forward to it as a matter of fact. I only have 37 yrs to go. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TAE73
    Which ramp did you use? Look for the fish in 10-15 on the bottom in the flats next to trees. I thought about going to truman this weekend but decided to pass, will hit it this weekend thou.

We put in at Thibaut Point, which is the ramp we normally use. We fished standing timber in flats from 8’ to 25’ deep. Had the best luck in 20’ to 23’ water, but the crappie was about 10 to 15 foot deep. We just couldn’t find many keepers, caught several from 4” to 8 ½”.

may your livewells stay full, and your rods stay bent.

Kevin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast