Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crappie party

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie party

Hello all,

I came across this forum while doing an internet search and I was hoping you might all help me out.

I just graduated from Columbia law school. My parents are originally from Boston where they were both partners in a pretty prestigious law firm there. They have recently relocated to Jacksonville, FL. Despite my protestations, they insist on flying down many of thier friends and family down to Jacksonville for a graduation party for me.

Now, we're not very familiar with the local cuisine, but I had a roommate from the south when I was an undergrad. He used to always swear by a fish he used to eat while growing up - crappie. I would ask him about it, but since he flunked out before Senior year, I haven't really bothered to keep close contact with him. I do however, trust his palat and believe that crappie is the way to go.

My question is - how many crappie would I need to feed a group of about 100 people. Through my research I have learned that they're kinda small fish. Is one enough to feed a Boston-sized person?

After you answer that question, do you know where I might find enough crappie to feed these 100 ppl. I tried calling the local whole foods store, but they didn't believe crappie was a type of fish and thought I was playing a joke on them.

I really want this party to go well and my parents have a lot of 'clout' riding on it. Please help me out as I'm sure this will be the talk of the party. Thanks a bunch.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I figger if yer folks are lookin to have themselves a ding dang of a get together, ya'll should shoot fer about at least 350. things is so small ya'll probably be alright stickin a toothpick in em!

If ya'll wanna gut em, filet em, drop em in some oil ya'll should be fine, but make sure you back off when dunkin em cause HOOOOOOeeee that oil's hot. Just the same you gotta get yourself a mess of fries to go with them critters lest you wanna look like a dang fool or somethin.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 02-15-2009 at 12:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

In all honesty, 3.5 per person is ridiculous. To give you an idea, here's a picture of my buddy after our last haul:

Now seriously, imagine downing 3 of them babies, plus some fritters and a few ice cold Hamm's... I'm sorry, but if you go for 3 per person, you are going to be throwing out alot of fish.

As I said, 1 per is typically good... save the rest of your money for the booze.

Are you get 'em catered, or do you plan on cookin 'em up yourself? There are some great recipes I've stolen from this board that would be excellent for a party. What type a folks are you serving?

Indian Rocks Beach, Florida, United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Columbialaw--Your not likely to find crappie at any local store. If you do happen to find some you can probably figure on 3-4 pieces of fish per person. Best thing you can do is find a crappie guide in your area. That would be a lot of crappie fishing as there are limits to the number of crappie you can keep each day. Supplement fish with a bunch of hush puppies, corn on the cob and a cold beverage of your choice. Good Luck! !
    You can't finish what you don't start

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Columbia. Law Graduate. Liberal. Sounds like you have a great future in politics from BS posted.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Downwind,

Do you have a good recipe for hush puppies? The Mrs. of mine can't get the taste quite right... she says the problem is the cornmeal out here in Arizona isn't the right type like what we used to have back home.

I got fed up with arguing with her about it each time, and so now she just makes a corn fritter for me instead... its not the same, but **** if I'm gonna waste a good catch by pairing it with 2nd rate hush puppies.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 02-15-2009 at 12:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

What CP said!!!
    Don't outsmart your common sense!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Countryboy N.C. View Post
    I can't believe this.
    :D

Post Thanks / Like

Is this guy serious???