Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: long line

Post Thanks / Like

Question long line

How Far Out The Back Of Boat Do You Run Your Jigs And How Do You Know What Speed To Troll. When Do You Spider Rig And When Do You Long Line Troll Or Can Do Do Either One Any Time.
    Roll Tide Roll with a crappie on a pole!

Post Thanks / Like

The answers for your questions are limitless. But I'll try to give short ones. A decient cast out the back is good enough. Longlining speed is generally around 1 mph. Spider rigging is moving VERY slowly, generally too slow for GPS to pick up much. I spider rig and long line both but not at the same time. You can do either at any time of the year. I favor long lining as it can be done successfully in just about any wind speed. For me, spider rigging is tough if the wind is above 8 mph.

Post Thanks / Like

1/2 mile out and 15mph

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    The answers for your questions are limitless. But I'll try to give short ones. A decient cast out the back is good enough. Longlining speed is generally around 1 mph. Spider rigging is moving VERY slowly, generally too slow for GPS to pick up much. I spider rig and long line both but not at the same time. You can do either at any time of the year. I favor long lining as it can be done successfully in just about any wind speed. For me, spider rigging is tough if the wind is above 8 mph.
    100% right, that's the way I do, also.:D

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to reply until I read Dickeyboy's post. Exactly what I would have said.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

As a rule of thumb but not always by any means, I like to long line when the fish are most active and this depends on the water temp and the fronts that may affect them also. When the water is at extremes cold or hot I like Spider rigging and also when fish are hugging stakes or other structure tight,when the water starts to warm or cooling I like long lining to pick up the most active fish but I also push when the fish are suspended at this time I use a 3 way swivel 1leg to the rod 1 leg with a 12" line to a #2 hook and the last to 36" of line with a 1oz. egg sinker 1/2 way down the line wrapped through 4 times with a jig or plain #2 hook with a in line spinner just above the hook running at .7-1 mph. while long lining the other rods out the back both are effective!
    WACKEM AND STACKEM!