Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trolling with Roadrunner Jigs - Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling with Roadrunner Jigs - Question

I know this is pretty basic, but any input is appreciated.

I am thinking about what would be the best way to rig up a RoadRunner jig for trolling from around 5 feet down to about 20 feet deep.

I'm thinking an egg sinker above a swivel, and a 1/8th oz RoadRunner jig on a leader below the swivel.

I'm gonna pour my own egg sinkers.

My question is:

Does anyone have experience with this and what kind of rig are you using and what size sinker worked the best for you?

Thanks,

Tommy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TreeMyDog View Post
    I know this is pretty basic, but any input is appreciated.

I am thinking about what would be the best way to rig up a RoadRunner jig for trolling from around 5 feet down to about 20 feet deep.

I'm thinking an egg sinker above a swivel, and a 1/8th oz RoadRunner jig on a leader below the swivel.

I'm gonna pour my own egg sinkers.

My question is:

Does anyone have experience with this and what kind of rig are you using and what size sinker worked the best for you?

Thanks,

Tommy
    I just troll without any added weight. I troll a 1/32 oz. most of the time and have done so up to 14' deep water. I actually was catching some in 20' of water on a 1/32 oz. last spring late, but not sure how deep the fish were now. I for sure will use that 1/32 oz. in water down to 12'.

I guess if I was doing the deeper thing I may go to a 1/16, but that is as big a Roadrunner that I use. I just adjust the speed of my troll motor when deeper is needed.

After all they say you can't fish them wrong as long as you fish them slow, LOL!

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

dang roadrunners lol , ive bought a ton of them little suckers and to this day i dont think ive ever caught a thing on them, i know alot of people that use them, but for some reason i cant catch a fish with a roadrunner,,,

Post Thanks / Like

When I spider rigg the Roadrunner I tip it with a minnow
    and use 1/2 oz. weight, 3/4 oz. if it's windy.
    Billy Deuce

Fried Crappie.... "The real thing".

Post Thanks / Like

Road runners are always on my lines when I spider rig. Use them on the bottom and use them with or without bodies, tipped with minnow or not. I rig them capps and coleman style with a lighter jig on top. I personally like the pro series with the red hook and willow leaf brass blade.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu View Post
    I just troll without any added weight. I troll a 1/32 oz. most of the time and have done so up to 14' deep water. I actually was catching some in 20' of water on a 1/32 oz. last spring late, but not sure how deep the fish were now. I for sure will use that 1/32 oz. in water down to 12'.

I guess if I was doing the deeper thing I may go to a 1/16, but that is as big a Roadrunner that I use. I just adjust the speed of my troll motor when deeper is needed.

After all they say you can't fish them wrong as long as you fish them slow, LOL!

Skip
    Agree with Skip here on the no weight thing. I used to troll them a lot and never used any added weight and nearly always used a 1/16 oz head. I controlled my depth with line length and speed, and in shallow water, a cork. I always felt like I was fine as long as I wasn't below the fish with my jigs. I was looking for reaction strikes anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jhef View Post
    dang roadrunners lol , ive bought a ton of them little suckers and to this day i dont think ive ever caught a thing on them, i know alot of people that use them, but for some reason i cant catch a fish with a roadrunner,,,
    I'm like Jeepster...I always rig 2 or 3 jigs to a line with the Roadrunner on the bottom whether I slow troll or not. Jhef, have you tried fishing them as SLOW as you can? Thats the only way I catch them.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of guys use egg sinkers 18" up from their jigs and spider rig. This allows a super slow presentation.
    If strictly long lining, head from the deep to the shallows and notice at what depth your baits start contacting the bottom. This is how deep that particular line/weight jig is running at that speed.
    CATCH A BIG-UN
    Likes Wompus LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

When I am trolling a Roadrunner, I usually have two 1/8th oz'ers Tied in line with NO leader and no extra weight. My trolling though, is more like Creeping. Reaper Creeping, either an ultra slow run with auto pilot punched in, or a shot of the footfeet on occasion. The slower the better, working points and ledges at different depths. Sometimes tipped with a minnow. The following came from using the exact same tactic. I was on one of my search and seizure missions, and came across this fish. I was in the process of tying a couple more Roadrunners on another line, saw the bite and told my daughter, (6 or 7 at the time) to grab the rod and reel it in. It's one of the best methods I've ever used to come across those loner Slabs that don't fear the predator fish and just kinda hang out in the open waiting for that free meal to pass by. Kaylee won a big fish of the month contest here on Crappie.com for her catch.

Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

holy crappieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Bluff City Tackle Pro Staff
    Touranment Ice & Minnow Ice
    Culprit Pro Staff
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast