Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cagles Mill Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cagles Mill Lake

Does anyone fish Cagles Mill lake (Cataract) in south central Indiana? It is in both Putnam and Owen counties. It has a great crappie population and it is my favorite local crappie spot. I am new to this site and live in Spencer Indiana.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish it quite a bit but last year the high water kept the ramps under water most of the year. It does have a good crappie population but there are a lot of small ones in there right now.

Post Thanks / Like

I think its one of the best crappie lakes in the state. Last year, after the water went down most the of the fish I caught were 10" or better. My last time, mid-Oct had 25- 12 to 16" fish in less than 1 hour and never left site of the ramp. This year shold be even better. If everything goes right, 2010 could be like it was in the mid 90's. 25 14-17" fish in an hour.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Easy to find fish

The nice thing about this lake is the fish are so easy to find. The lake is a flood control lake and fluctuates 30-50 feet at times. The trees do not grow in this dead area and you can walk all the way around the lake easily on the shore. (if the water is not up too much) the fish seem to related well to the shore line and points since there is very little structure. If you can find the old stump beds you are in for some hot action. I also think the size of the average crappie is on the rise. I averaged 10-11 inchers last year.

Post Thanks / Like

SpeckBuster... you are starting to talk me into it. I may have to try this lake out. For a person who has never been there and knows nothing about the lake....can you recommend a good ramp to put a boat in if you are coming from the Spencer area, and general area of the lake to start looking for those sac-a-lait? Also, have you fished it right after ice out... or in Feb/ early March.
    GnawMart Tenderloin Sandwich Prostaff, Gnawbone Indiana

Post Thanks / Like

Hog Daddy - If you have a park pass, the best ramp is in the park itself. You can launch at the other ramp in Cunot. My favorite area is right near the dam. there are several rocky shorelines and points to fish there. I like to cast the shore lines and points with a 2 inch chart/pumpkinseed powergrub. I have had limited success vertical jigging (spider rigging) the drop offs on the points just after ice out and in the summer. The last two weeks of April and the first two weeks of May are my favorite casting times

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks SpeckBuster. I was looking at google satellite map... looks like 3 prominant northern laying coves just north of the boat ramp in the park...as you head toward the dam...plus 2-3 smaller north facing coves. Not knowing anything....If I were searching for warmer water that would draw the crappie in... I would think these would be good bets for warming up this time of year. That's from my 10,000 foot satellite view and no experience.
    GnawMart Tenderloin Sandwich Prostaff, Gnawbone Indiana

Post Thanks / Like

Those are some of my favorite coves and points. I teach and sometimes I run over there after school with out my boat. I park at the Dam parking area and walk down the hill to the lake. You can walk anywhere as long as the lake is not up too much. Carrying those 25 crappie in the bucket back up the hill is a nice problem to have. You can also catch some bonus walleye on this lake. I got a 24 incher a couple of years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cagles Mill Camping

The info for the place says that IDNR runs the campground and the website comes up a zero,

How is the campground and what is available there?

Appreciate any info as that would be great to meet my daughter who lives in Indy and spend the weekend or a couple of days with them.

Pepper
    Jeremiah 29:11

God says he has plans for me.

Post Thanks / Like

When you check the state website look for Lieber state park or recreation area. There's about three different names for it: Mansfield, Lieber, and Cataract
    Last edited by 1028; 02-18-2009 at 05:17 PM. Reason: bad spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast