Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: line loop

Post Thanks / Like

Default line loop

What reel really eliminates line loop using light jigs with floater.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Loops

Try some reel majic---spray or pump----also lite line,I dont have a problem with 4 and 6 pound test.
    CATCH FILLET

Post Thanks / Like

All I fish is 4 and 5 pound line and I have this problem. Tried many brands of line. Some not as bad as others, Reel magic helps. The manufacture told me to soak the line in water.
    1967/68

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gofish View Post
    A good one!

The better the reel, the less problem you will have with this. Higher quality reels have excellent oscillation mechanisms that lay the line on the spool very evenly. They also have anti-line twist devices.

I use medium-range Daiwas and Shimanos and rarely have this problem. One particular model to look at is the Daiwa SS series. They go for $80 or $90 and will last for years.

Post Thanks / Like

try kevin vandams reel conditioner works pretty good.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Aside from these other excellent ideas ....

Quote Originally Posted by gofish View Post

... consider a reel that has a large spool diameter. The smaller spools wrap line in tight coils, making line memory an even bigger problem. Most all mono will have some memory problems, and colored, low stretch, & XT type lines are more prone to it than the clear/blu & the non-specialty types. That's been my experience, anyway.
    The closer you can get the diameter of the reel's spool to match the diameter of the line holder spool ... the less memory you create. The softer the line, the less memory problems you'll have, also. You'll also want to use the smallest pound test that you can effectively use.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

gofish

learn to close the bail by hand instead of cranking it to close and you will never have a loop with any spinning reel. really does not take that long to get used to. also lifting the rod tip enough to get the line to feed out slightly as you close the bail either way will help some too. yet another solution is to remove the wire from the bail and use your finger to put the line onto the line roller. this works well but is harder to become comfy with.
    Yodibuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Yodibuzz is right, closing the bail by hand will really help with the line loop problem. The other guys are right too about the smaller the spool size making the line coil worse. If you really can't fix your problem with these suggestions I would try braided line in one of the small sizes. The braided line will definately solve the line loop problem, it's totally limp.

hawkman is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

All of the above will probably help. If you do see a loop already on your reel, loosen the drag & pull the line off without opening the bail. This way you get down to the loop without a big tangle.
    Crappie fishing is my lighthouse of sanity in an insane world,
    It keeps me from crashing on the rocky shores of everyday life.
    Crappie.com is my beacon of light!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey gofish, The reel does play a big part in this but not as much as the quality of line and the way it is wound off the spool onto the reel.
    First, after trying gobs of different lines, I have settled back on an original line that I used years ago. Trilene XL (extra limp) 4 lb test. I like the moss green color and it is virtually invisible even in extra clear trout waters.

Now, very important, lay the spool on the ground label side up. This seems to always be right for me. Start loading the reel. After 10 or 12 cranks stop reeling and look at the line from the tip of the rod to the spool on the ground. If the line is flipping over and looping onto itself you are unloading the spool in the wrong direction. Flip the spool over on the ground and try it again. This should remedy the problem.
    CATCH A BIG-UN