Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Oologah Ghost Fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oologah Ghost Fish

I have recently started fishing Oologah very heavy for Crappie. Day and Night, Deep and Shallow. Dropoffs, creek channels, etc. You name it, I have worn myself out searching for the motherload. I am going to build my own structures to submerge at different depths, and locations so as to have places to fish depending on wind direction for the day. I prefer to use a black light while fishing at night for illuminating the lines, as well as keeping insect population down.
    Now, spawn is a different story, I absolutely tore up the Crappie in the 1-3 lb range for about three weeks. I have fished every area I can think of, or find and am still dumbfounded as to where they are hiding. I have never had this much trouble locating at least a few keepers. Blue Creek timber has produced several 6" fish. If anyone in the area wants to give it a shot, or has some recent Hot Weather experience on Oologah, send me a mail, and we might put our heads together.
    I have Trolled, Drifted, Anchored, only to see me freeing another load of lively minnows into the wild upon departure.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

I would be patient for a little while longer as I know from the flow of water down here near me in Coweta that things will be a little rough up there I really dont think it is that much trouble to find nice fish up there have ya tried the goose island area I am sure I could catch a few keepers there keep in touch if ya cant find them when the water stablilzes maybe we can get together and fish I have found it rather tough on Gibson the last week but still manage to catch my limit Big George

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for getting back George. I have not tried around Goose yet. But I have tried some Bluff areas off the main channel just south of Goose. There is a cove just north of Goose as well. I have Graphed and sat over a few brushpiles in 20' + water. I have fished dropoffs with the boat straddling 9' at the bow to 20' stern. The only crappie I have found so far has been in standing timber in Talala creek and Blue creek around 15' deep water with 6" crappie holding at around 8-10'. There is a stand of timber in the main lake just north of Wiganon. I haven't fished it yet as I am waiting for the level to reside a bit. The level has been 10' above normal, but, has dropped about 2.5' in the last couple of days. No telling what last nights storms will do to it. I will definately post if I find an area that is holding Crappie.
    Coweta huh? Ever fish Bluff Landing much? Years ago I used to fish Bluff and the area off Hwy 51 regularly. The best trip I ever had was from the Bluff landing area of the Verdigris. It was in February pre-spawn and I caught a limit of 2-4lb Slabs.
    I look forward to meeting you someday George. This new(newer to me) boat I have is not as Crappie Fishing Friendly as my old 14' Aluminum was. It's a 15' Bass Boat, and I am already thinking of trying to upgrade to a Pontoon. I want to convert a Pontoon into a mobil heated fishing dock for winter purposes. Feel free to mail me sometime.
    Craig

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Wish I was down there in the Land of the Slabs!

Check with my Buddy Todd down there. He is a guide, and will definitely know what they are doing on Oologah.

I would guess they are holding on firm bottomed flats on wood in the dirtiest water you can find in 10-12' of water. Use anything with Black on it, and tip with minnows &/or scents. Fish slow!!!!

Luck to ya, and welcome to the board!

PS tell Todd that big Tim sent ya!

Todd Huckabee - 405-895-6387

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Tim didnt know Todd guided this far north thought it was out by his house and Eufalala

Post Thanks / Like

You may be right about that Big George. I can't say for sure about the guiding part for Todd on Oologah. From talking with him, I do know that he's spent a bit of time on Oologah though.

From my limited experience on OK waters, both lakes seem to pattern out pretty similar for me during the dog days. As a rule, I've had better success concentrating more of my efforts on the fish which hold shallower than the majority which are holding deeper during this time of year. They seem to be more apt to bite for me than the deeper fish are.

If I were down there now, and the wind would behave(I know, BIG IF!), I'd try up in the stump fields North East of the bridge. If it's windy, I'd work the River wood and curent breaks.

I won't get a chance to come back to Oologah till mid October (I hope to fish CAST's tourny then). Keep the posts coming guys. As I said before, I sure wish I was down there with yas! You guys have some great fishing down there! Full baskets & big bites to yas! :p

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Last edited by Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon; 07-06-2005 at 06:24 PM.
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, thanks, I've made three more trips since my original post. The only Crappie I have found have been in the standing timber in Blue and Talala Creek in 13' - 16' of water. Water level is finally dropping somewhat fast now. I have yet to try the standing timber North of Wiganon, will hit it on a calm weekend night. I have located serveral dropoffs and brushpiles in the 10'-20' depth, but no fish there. Have also tried Points off main channel. Hopefully it is only a matter of time before I start figuring there Pattern. Once I get more familliar with the lake, things should be fine. Oologah is similar to Eufala as far as slabs go. I have yet to see a lake produce the #'s that those two do. Thanks for the help. I will post something once I locate.