Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A pic of my new boat. And a question.

Post Thanks / Like

Default A pic of my new boat. And a question.

Haven't had it in the water yet. Hope to by next week. Still have a lot of work to do, i.e. floor, carpet, seats, bow trolling motor etc.

--

Here's my questions. In the manual that came with my Mercury 9.9hp outboard, it says I should drill holes thru the transom to fully secure the motor:

Is this step really necessary? I want to be able to take the motor off and keep in my garage. Many of the lakes around here are "no gas motors" lakes. It seems very secrue without these holes.

Any recommendations?
    Regards,
    Rowland

Post Thanks / Like

You can get a lock that fits the over the handles that you tighten them down with, very secure, used them for years, using one now. Can buy at most any marine dealer, maybe even k-mart or wal mart. Hope this helps. Possum1
    possum1
    Jack Mullins
    Psalms 46:1

Post Thanks / Like

Default nice boat!

Yeah, I think the screw clamps would be plenty to handle it without
    the bolts. I used a old 9.8 borrowed from a friend for awhile on mine
    like that and it never loosened up. I did have a piece of old carpet
    between it and the boat though. Cabelas or Basspro one have a neat
    rubber pad with metal inserts molded into it you might want to look at -
    carpet works tho and the price is right...
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

You do not need to drill. I have run small outboards for a long time and never had one even loosen up whatsover. Nice rig .

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I really didn't want to drill any holes. Will buy one of the locks Possum refers to.
    Regards,
    Rowland

Post Thanks / Like

Default Holes necessary?

No the holes aren't necessary, They say that to prevent someone from stealing the motor, like when you stop on a trip or something. It wouldn't take long to grab the motor and be gone. It happens all the time. The locks mentioned will work fine.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used that size motor for many years and never bolted them on. You may want to consider something like this http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse
    That size motor is very popular with thieves so at least something like this will keep honest people honest. What type pole holders are you going with? That boat has crappie written all over it! Congradulations on your new rig. I know your anxious to get it out. Just in time for our fall CrappieBash 2005 too.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the link to bass pro that IBNFSHN, posted is the one I am using.
    possum1
    Jack Mullins
    Psalms 46:1

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Please be warned that no lock can stop a thief that really wants your motor. Just last year i had my kicker stolen off my tracker. It was locked on with one of those bar type locks. The thief ripped the molding off the back and shimmyed the motor off, lock and all. It was an 81, 7.5 merc, and my deductible was more than the motor was worth so i had to take the loss. So be careful and good luck with your decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the screws on your outboard will be plenty as long as they stay tight. Do what possum,ibnfshn, said and buy one of those security type locks that go over your transom screws. They will keep them from loosening up and thiefs away.

I had a little ole 9.9 Johnson and used it religiously. One year on a 4 day fishing trip, on the second day, vibration turned the transom screws off and I hit a log and the dern motor jumped off and into about 12 foot of water hehehe I personally perfer the bolts through the transom and the security lock.

BTW nice looking boat

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast