Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Spawn Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Spawn Question

Is water temp the only factor that triggers crappie to spawn? Thanks, Daniel

Post Thanks / Like

According to the studies I have read, temp. is the PRIMARY factor, but it can be delayed by heavy rains. Once the water temp hits 50 and holds there a few days, it is on! Does not matter about the time of year. Moon phase plays a minimal role. There can be more spawning activity during the full moon, but that does not mean it stops once that phase is over, nor that it will be any stronger during that period. It just means it MAY be better then.
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

Here In East Tn The Fish Really Start To The Banks At 60 Degrees The Blacks Tend To Be A Few Weeks Earlier Than The Whites With That 58 Degrees And Whites 62-66 Seems To Be Best, And I Think The Full And New Does Help.
    WACKEM AND STACKEM!

Post Thanks / Like

Default also,

I think the number of daylight hours has an affect as well...
    "Stumphunter's Crappie Jigs" Prostaff

Post Thanks / Like

Swift currents will kill a spawn if the lake is at flood stage like last year. The crappie moved into the timber and pastures to spawn in about a foot of water. I found them in the heavy brush--had to shorten my pole to get in there. Now I have 3-4 poles and rods at different lengths, but I still prefer the brush tops.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spawn

Each of you are correct on the spawn puzzle, but do not forget the water Ph factor too. Add all of these conditions together and you have your spawn.

CG

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Dan ....

Quote Originally Posted by crappie_dan View Post
    Is water temp the only factor that triggers crappie to spawn? Thanks, Daniel
    It's hardly the "only" factor ... but as Beenfishin? says, it is the primary factor. Water temps dictate the metabolism of the fish, and thus the development of eggs/milt. Fish won't try and spawn until water temps allow them the best chance for success, once the eggs/milt are ready. Unless or until those eggs/milt are viable, the other conditions are secondary. Fish are cold blooded, so their actions/reactions are dictated by water temp. Most all of the other conditions are either a help or hindrance to their success, but even if all other conditions are perfect and the water temps are still cold ... spawning won't take place. (IMHO)

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I've also noticed the males fan beds fairly early, so you think the spawn is on but actually it's just beginning. Also I have observed the oxygen factor is equally important as well, they wont nest unless the bottom is right and vegetation is present that produces oxygen, although i have found them on bare banks, probably on a feed and not spawning.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

how long does it take for them eggs to hatch out?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink If conditions remain favorable ...

Quote Originally Posted by TN. WATERSHED View Post
    how long does it take for them eggs to hatch out?
    ... once laid & fertilized, the eggs will hatch in about 3 days. The Male will guard the nest & fry, until they leave the nest, which can take several more days. The Female leaves that nest, once some of her eggs are deposited in it, go back to her staging spot for a short while, then go to another nest ... and repeat the process until she's empty of eggs or conditions are no longer favorable. This process can take several days, to a couple of weeks.

... cp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast