Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Every one does things differently!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Every one does things differently!

Here is my dilemma...
    I stand about 6'3", and weigh about 280 lbs (lost a little over 50 pounds in less than a year after finding out I have diabeties and high blood pressure...and am only 32). Well, I LOVE TO CRAPPIE FISH, and I have gotten my dad into it. I take a couple big trips every year, and am now going to add one as I am a youth minister and have started a Christian Outdoor Fellowship this year and am taking a trip with these people, too.

So, with my size, and my fishing style (fishing from dawn til dusk, on the boat for 4-5 days at a time, three or so weeks in a row), I am needing to find a seat that I don't "bottom out". After sitting for an extended amount of time, it just seems as if my seat gives out, and it feels like I'm sitting on the post. My dad is in the same boat with the seat in the back. I bought them new a couple of years ago, but they are still in good shape.

So, here is what I came up with just this morning. I don't mind paying $100 for a new seat, and dad said he would buy the other one. However, I also like to turkey hunt, and I think I'm going to adopt an idea from one of the turkey seats I have. I am really thinking about cutting out enough foam from the seat I have now, and literally inserting a small innertube in it, then covering that whole thing with just a little foam. Then, running the valve (somehow) out of the bottom of the seat.

In theory, it should work...and we all know that everyone on here has a crappie boat that has their special little touch. But, with my touch, my seats would be adjustable to anyone who would fish with me...whether it be youth group kids, or my dad, or whoever. We could literally air it up with a portable compressor that plugs into the lighter of the truck.

What do you think? It should work...

Post Thanks / Like

That would probably work depending on how much time/effort you want to put into it. I would check Cabelas line of "big man" seats to see if something could work for ya.

PB Wht. Crappie 2.48 lbs 02-12-2011

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

That sounds interesting. I believe it would work, given the fact that you're trying to adjust the pressure for each individual fisherman/woman who's using the chair. What I think you could use to assist your project is an air pressure gauge to determine -- by weight -- which settings to adjust to.

Fishing is an addiction and I'm trying to dose up daily!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know about the size of the seat for a 280# framed fella, but Wise makes a seat called the Centric series that has a spring system in it that should give extra support. Grizzly jig has them in their catalogue. Priced over $100 a seat though.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

mrwillis....I am not quite as tall as you...but I weigh as much. I had the same problem, but I went with the big mans deluxe seat from Cabelas...I am very pleased with them. They are somewhat stiff...but hold up really well. The last time I checked they had them in the Bargain Cave for $59.00 each. You will be pleased with them.