Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: River and Creek intersections

Post Thanks / Like

Default River and Creek intersections

Anyone fish the creeks that enter major rivers like the Ohio or the Mississippie River?

How do you approach fishing a major creek like these? Do you fish up the creek or at the mouth of the creek. Where is the most likely place for the big crappie to hang out in such a creek.

I know that the creek is several miles long and full of submerged trees. I have never ever thought about fishing this type of creek in the past but I may want to give it a try someday.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

moose;; that's about all i fish actually there more like small rivers from 50 to 100 feet wide back waters i fish both at the mouth and up in. when at the mouth I set up in the creek mouth facing out broad side of the main river on the up side flow of the main river if you can understand that, and fish the drop off into the main river. depending on the time of the year and temp of water you may want to back up in the creek and fish the creek just before the drop off. then i love to tightline up in the creeks around the dead standing timber. Of course in the mouth you'll catch all types of fish.
    Hope that helps
    Last edited by CrappieLips; 07-02-2005 at 08:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

On days I don't feel like fishing and just want to ride and look at the scenery;I go down to where the St. Francis River meets the Mississippi River. Pretty interesting fishermen go down there. These guys who do not use the ramp up stream to the St. Francis...which is about a 60 degree angle, looks like to me...instead they go to the mouth in their four wheel drive trucks,with winches,tie to a tree and winch their vehecles down to launch their boats. Mind you they do this on muddy banks sometimes. These guys are catfishermen though. Seems they are dedicated bunch,no way in heck I'm doing that or using the ramp,when the Mississippi is low, it is a long way down to the bottom to launch a boat.I have seen some monster catfish these guys caught. Alot of swirls in the mouth there, they somehow anchor off and fish out of their boats, plus the barge traffic. I'll stay on the lakes. Wish I was brave enough to do what they do. But being that I do not know how to swim, I'll stay off the Mississippi.
    Sometimes when fishermen come up missing, they'll find them several miles down. The Mississippi is a mean river.