Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needin weedless round jig heads 1/16 oz

Post Thanks / Like

Default Needin weedless round jig heads 1/16 oz

Preferably with #4 red aberdeen hook for crappie in the trees. Any help needed. Thanks...
    Wichita

Post Thanks / Like

There is a member on here that can make them for you. His name is Grousefly. Just send him a personal message. He made me 100 last year and they have worked great.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Spiderman is correct ...

Quote Originally Posted by Wichita View Post
    Preferably with #4 red aberdeen hook for crappie in the trees. Any help needed. Thanks...

Grousefly makes 'em

PM addy - Grousefly
    email addy - [email protected]
    ph # - 606 642 3167

You have a choice of several types of weed guards, or weedless style hooks. I use two of the styles - the brush guard and the Y guard .... like these :

but, you can look at his selection, on the Crappie Business Directory :

P & S CUSTOM TACKLE | Images | Crappie.com Business Directory (click on pic to see larger image)

... cp

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

CRAPPIE PAPPY, when you use the ones with the mono (top one in photo), do you trim them down in length close to being level with the hooks or do you leave them as is? I recently bought some and I trimmed one down because it looked like leaving them long would interfere with the hook set. Used it this weekend and caught the only fish that gave me a bump. Just a wondering what others do.

"gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

Crappiepappy which one do you use most and what conditions are each the best at?
    Wichita

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Gene ...

Quote Originally Posted by PawPaw "gene" View Post
    CRAPPIE PAPPY, when you use the ones with the mono (top one in photo), do you trim them down in length close to being level with the hooks or do you leave them as is? I recently bought some and I trimmed one down because it looked like leaving them long would interfere with the hook set. Used it this weekend and caught the only fish that gave me a bump. Just a wondering what others do.

"gene"
    I haven't trimmed any that Paul made for me, but only because I haven't had to :p (I still have the same one on, that I started with last Spring ...it was cut just fine, and I just don't lose them very often :D )
    Now ... I have suggested trimming the brush style fibers, on some store bought ones, if they seem to be cut a little long. But, trimming them down may be more of a confidence booster, than a necessity
    I do, however, suggest spreading the fibers out, just a little ... especially on those that have a large number of fibers, or stiffer fibers, or they're bunched close together. This not only makes them a little more weedless, it also allows the hook greater access to the fish's mouth (by not having to have to be forced thru the clump of fibers).

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Wichita ....

Quote Originally Posted by Wichita View Post
    Crappiepappy which one do you use most and what conditions are each the best at?
    I actually prefer the Y guard style, but use them both, interchangably. I don't really know of any "conditions" where one would be superior over the other. And that statement doesn't come lightly ... I used to think like alot of others, that a weedless (brush style) jighead would cost me fish. When I started using weedless jigheads, I shunned the brush style in favor of one that had a very thin wire loop. I used this one for many years, and quite successfully. I happened to find a Y guard style, locally, and liked its looks ... so I started using it, now & then. It worked as well as the other, and I didn't have the problems of having to reset the wire loop or having the wire loop get bent out of shape or broken. I met Paul, thru this site, when he sponsored the tournaments I helped run, by donating some of his jigs as prizes. I contacted him about reviving the Y guard jighead, as the local source was no longer in business ... and he started making them for me. The rest, as they say, is history. He also made me some of the brush style, and I gave them a fair chance to change my mindset. They've worked well enough that I don't even give it a second thought when I reach for a new weedless jighead. :D

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Pappy you do a lot of casting. Is that primarily when you use the weedguard or do you use it when fishing with a bobber or any other style of fishing you do.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Most of the time ...

Quote Originally Posted by gone_fishing View Post
    Pappy you do a lot of casting. Is that primarily when you use the weedguard or do you use it when fishing with a bobber or any other style of fishing you do.
    I am casting, shooting docks, & Vertical Casting, so I usually have the weedless jighead on. I've even used it when fishing with a minnow, on those rare occasions when I use a minnow :p (other than when I use the slipfloat/minnow setup ... but then I'm using a regular hook/sinker)

About the only time I don't use a weedless jig, is when I'm trolling jigs.

I have used non-weedless jigs, for most all the methods I employ, at times ... but, I just don't like hanging up and having to retie, or disturbing the cover by trying to pull free, so I use the weedless jigs ... and I haven't noticed any negative effects, of doing so. In fact, I think my hookup rate is equal or better, and my landing rate is better. I feel that my landing rate is better, because the guard helps keep the hook from coming free from a lip hooked fish, even when there's a gaping hole in the membrane of the fish's mouth.

... cp

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    I haven't trimmed any that Paul made for me, but only because I haven't had to :p (I still have the same one on, that I started with last Spring ...it was cut just fine, and I just don't lose them very often :D )
    Now ... I have suggested trimming the brush style fibers, on some store bought ones, if they seem to be cut a little long. But, trimming them down may be more of a confidence booster, than a necessity
    I do, however, suggest spreading the fibers out, just a little ... especially on those that have a large number of fibers, or stiffer fibers, or they're bunched close together. This not only makes them a little more weedless, it also allows the hook greater access to the fish's mouth (by not having to have to be forced thru the clump of fibers).

... cp

He can't stay in business if you only use one hook year....:rolleyes:
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast