Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: side-pulling

Post Thanks / Like

Default side-pulling

Just curious folks, do any of you do this? Pulling sideways with an
    electric motor, like Roger Gant? A lot still do up at Goat Island on Pickwick,
    but I haven't seen it much anywhere else. I used to love it, but it seems
    to always be windy when I go, and broadside to big waves - whiplash!
    I liked being able to fish several short rods without getting tangled, and
    not having to worry about running over lines with trolling motor. I did
    several searches here and didn't turn up anything, maybe I'm not asking
    right!
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont have a boat good for that . neeed a aluninum boat i think . what i seen roger do it with .with all the boat traffick and wend it would be a pain in the b****. have don some with the wend at the right speed and direction . use troling motor to ster the boat
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

I have read the Roger Gant article on the B n M Pole site. I think he pulls from the side so his clients can sit in front of their rods. He also states that he has trouble on windy days. I wonder why he doesn't use some differnt length poles and front pull with rods out the side and back. It would be no problem for each of 4 clients ( he mentions 3 in the article) to have 2or 3 rods each sitting side by side 2 in the front and two in the back. Many southern trollers troll 16 to 20 rods in this way.
    He also mentions using the technique so he can slowly troll. Sea anchor's ( drift scocks) allow that in virtually any weather. I just can't understand the benefit of side pulling.
    Mr. Gant certainly has success with the technique. I think the reason you didn't get a hit on the searches is that very few people use that technique when front pulling is much easier and just as effective.

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

it was originally developed so that 3 people can fish effectively out of a small alluminum boat. Especially for guide fishing. The guide in the middle running the trolling motor with the 2 clients in front and back. All 3 have room to fish and not on top of each other. PLUS, you can cover a lot of gound. The span of your rods is very wide. Have done it some, but everything just kept taking me back to front pulling. Didn't want to give up my heavier fibreglass bass boat for rough water.

Post Thanks / Like

I paid the price and went with Roger a few years ago. Had a great time, caught fish. Really just went to see how and why. Learned a lot, Roger is a great guide. Never tried this sideways. Have used his ideas out of the front and back of my bass boat. Worked great. Tied two jigs, let out the correct amount of line and went with the wind. I still use the system when the wind gets too strong for spider fishing. This system works. Give it a try. Good luck fishing.
    2018 Triton 18TX 115 ProXS 4 Stroke
    4-HDS 9 Touch
    ACC CRAPPIE STIX

Post Thanks / Like

Roger Gant was on an outdoor TV show that I recently watched using that technique. My friend Rango uses a similar method employing wind sock(s) to drift side ways and fish off the side. Once you're set up for a good drift it's a great way to present bait over a wide area. No trolling motor to constantly fiddle with.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default me too

Yeah guys, that's kinda the conclusion I came to also. For me it makes
    more sense to go forward. I must say though that it worked sweet on
    a calm day when you were fishing a piece of deep cover - you could
    just sit on top of it cutting figure 8's all day. I can't catch fish with his
    baits either - went to his store up by the dam and bought a bunch of
    those hair jigs his brother ties. I had way more luck with the 3" curly
    tails from Action Bait Co. in Alabama, Florence I think. I have come to
    the conclusion that Roger is just so good at locating fish, he could catch
    them on a baloney sandwich!

Post Thanks / Like

I Drift fish sometimes with the wind using the trolling motor to keep the boat steered right. like david said three people can fish out this way and cover a lot mor ground we have good luck with this technique but the only time we fish it is when we have three in the boat otherwise we fish out the front and back

Post Thanks / Like

I think his method also has to do with boat speed. And that is a lot of his catching fish.
    From what I have seen him doing. He is controlling the speed and the drift at the same time. Also watching this depth finder and marking the fish.(Depth)
    Lots of stuff to keep up with but it pays off big time when it all works together.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys just came back from a trip with Roger at Sardis. This technique is very effective as we pulled in 66 good ones. One thing he did on our trip that I did not see on the video or the Rusty Faulk show was tip his hair jigs with a curly tail to give more action. It was definitely a learning experience and I will be trying this out of my boat. I am a newbie to trolling so I will have to give this method as well as forward trolling a try and see which works best for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast