Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Closed face reel suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Closed face reel suggestions

My wife prefers closed face reels and we fish "close to the boat". She is not crazy about switching to a spinning reel. Problem is finding a closed face that doesnt have problems with the bobber stop hanging up in the reel. We use the string stops and dont want to make any changes in that area. Can anyone recommend a good closed face reel that doesnt have this problem?

Post Thanks / Like

I understand your wanting to keep using the string stops, I use to use them exclusively. I simply urge you to try the bead type plastic stoppers (I forget their proper name but they come in a bunch on wire holders). Their shape and smoothness should prevent hang-ups on the reel. I avoided using them for a long time because I couldn't figure out how they worked. Simply put about 3 or 4 inches of the end of your line through the wire loop and pull the bead off the wire right onto the line. You can then adjust it to wherever you want. It is the fastest stopper to put on that there is, as far as I know.
    GET THE NET HAROLD, GET THE NET!!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default these work good.....

what I use when bobbering up.......

Cabela's -- Rainbow Plastics Gizzmo Bobber Stop

You can get 'em at Wal Mart.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Cane, I use the ones that you are referring to and like them real well.

I believe the ones that Gansett referred to are "wasp". They work well too.. Never used either one on a Closed Face reel though.

Post Thanks / Like

There are several brands of trigger spin spincast reels Zebco, Abu, Daiwa have them but the only kind I've ever tried is Zebco and the Old Johnson Century Reel that was popularized by Virgil Ward on the Championship Fishing Show. Check them out and see what you think

One thing I will agree with the other posters is to go to the rubber slips for adjustable bobbers. You can get them at Janns, Cabela's, BPS etc. Get the right size for the line your using

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

The Gizzmo Bobber Stop that Cane Pole has shown, is probably the smallest of them all, and I agree, should work very well on the closed face reel. The only drawback is threading them takes a little time, especially for me as my eyes are not quite as good as they used to be.
    GET THE NET HAROLD, GET THE NET!!

Post Thanks / Like

I've used those little plastic bobber stops. You "weave" your line through them. I didn't like them at all. Supposedly were right for my size line, but they slipped to easy. Also, I had them break in two. I'm guessing the plastic dried out or was put into a bind on the real or something. Also, my line would catch on the bobber stop as it was coming off of the reel.

Just my $.02 Obviously, others have had better luck with them than I did.
    J

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Solution!

I have used the type of stoppers that y,all have suggested and cant really say I didnt like them maybe cause I had a stock of about 500 of the string type and felt I needed to use them up.
    Since this is gonna be one of them there romantic Valentines Day gifts maybe I will get her a new reel AND different stops!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gansett View Post
    The Gizzmo Bobber Stop that Cane Pole has shown, is probably the smallest of them all, and I agree, should work very well on the closed face reel. The only drawback is threading them takes a little time, especially for me as my eyes are not quite as good as they used to be.
    I can't see well enough to lace it up. I have my Yankee neighbor to fix em for me. Works good on 8 pound line. I use Diawa dx40 under spin.
    Biggest problem is stopper hanging on the pole eyes occasionally. No problem hanging in the reel. I got a "Big Eye" pole for casting and I occasionally grease the pole eyes with Vaseline. After a while, the ends of the Gizmo tend to flatten out some. I change the Gizmo monthly or so to keep down the problems, well the Yankee does.

Been using the Gizmo for years. Been using a Yankee neighbor for years too..:D
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wishtofish View Post
    Since this is gonna be one of them there romantic Valentines Day gifts maybe I will get her a new reel AND different stops!

Any woman that considers a reel and bobber stops to be a "romantic Valentines Day gift" is a keeper.

You better hang on to her!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast