Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lake Redman - Sunday morning

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake Redman - Sunday morning

Got a chance to squeeze in 3.5 hours of water time yesterday morning. Ended up putting over 60 white crappie in the boat using 1/32 oz. jighead/1" plastic twister tail topped with a crappie nibble. Fished from 5:00am to 8:25am, on the blowdowns into 21ft. of water. Picked up two walleye and four yellow perch trolling a small shad crankbait along the creek channel.
    Water temp was at 75 degrees, and the crappie seemed to be hanging in about 10 feet of water, in the cover.
    [email protected]
    Likes S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

What's the average size of crappie in that lake? Never fished there before.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like

average size I would put at 8-9". The lake has a very healthy population of 10-12" fish - I can usually put a limit of this size fish in the livewell in the spring, but they allude me all summer. Out of the fish I caught Sunday, the largest was 9.5", smallest was 7.25". I'd like to spend more time at Project 70 (Lake Marburg), as this lake has a larger average size fish, with 15" starting to show up in higher numbers. I would compare Redman to Speedwell Forge, without the weeds.
    Last edited by Big Zig; 08-23-2004 at 12:36 PM.
    [email protected]

(/\)ishingFishing Guest

Thanks for that report. I was wondering about Redman myself. I still don't have the proper technique down for crappie...by a long shot. From what I'm reading here, I'm fishing a little big on the twisters... 1/16 and sometimes larger depending on depth and position. I hate to have you re-post things already said. Is there a place, (other than the articles written here- which I read,) or thread that's good to look at? I was hoping to follow peoples' advice as it happened, but just can't seem to get back here often enough.

I'm wondering what your normal "plan of attack" is this time of year. I read that crappie are deep. Have you fished with deep-running flies for crappie?

You compared Redman to Speedwell... I thought Redman was a fairly large lake? (You might have meant condition-wise or fish-size-wize. [Heck-if I'm going to misuse the English language, I might as well do it right, right?]) I love Speedwell for the serenity. I swear one day I'll own a skiff....longboat... crewboat...whatever you call those long needle rowboats. That place is like glass most of the time.

-thanks!
    -Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

If my memory is any good, Speedwell and Redman are pretty close size wise as well. If you travel 83 north or south, when you cross the lake - what you see is what you get. It's electric motors only, and gets a lot of pressure. The lake is a sleeper however, I've seen quite a few 7lb. walleyes, 25" stripers, and a few 5lb. largemouth come out of the lake over the last 4 years. The local chapter of the Isaac Walton League stocked trout about 4-5 years ago, but I've never heard of any being caught. Then there's the musky's............I know first hand there's a least a 45" class fish swimming in those waters.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Bumping big zigs post, miss seeing his stories. I've been a member here since the beginning but had to create a new name somewhere along the way. Anyways, plan to hit redman sometime soon..anybody know what ever happened to zig?

S10CHEVY is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to see you post Zig, and a good post. Charman03, if you look on right side of posts, you can see when a person became a member here. Also look at Zig's picture, those are the jigs he use to make and sell.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S10CHEVY View Post
    Good to see you post Zig, and a good post. Charman03, if you look on right side of posts, you can see when a person became a member here. Also look at Zig's picture, those are the jigs he use to make and sell.
    Did you look at the date of the big zig post, Keith? 2004. Why would the guy ask about big zig if he was big zig?

S10CHEVY is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Your right, I did miss that, thanks for letting me know.