Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lake Rathbun predictions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake Rathbun predictions

Anyone got any predictions on the size of fish at Rathbun for this year?
    Extreme high water last year, did it hurt or help the lake?
    what do you think the average size will be?
    Fishing is a way of life. Teach your grandchildren to fish, hunt and enjoy the outdoors

Post Thanks / Like

Was down there ice fishing last weekend.Most all the crappies we caught was 7-8 " so I'll say the average will be about 10 1/2".
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!

Post Thanks / Like

boy what happen to the site... did someone remove all the post...
    J.I.L. <*)}}}><

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I think you're going to see either small 8 to9 inch fish, or really big slabs the next couple years. That is if they didnt all go through the tube with the walleyes.

Post Thanks / Like

I ice fished it a couple times this winter. In my opinion you will catch lots of 7-8in fish but there are some really nice ones mixed in, between a buddy and I in about 4 hours of fishing we landed probably 60 of those 7-8in fish. and about 12 nice ones. Another year or two and there will be some real nice fish being caught.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'll fish below the dam for consistency. Heading there in the middle of May for the spawn but love below the dam anytime else.

Post Thanks / Like

prchjerker is right not very many 10"-12"for awhile.
    ITS LIKE BASEBALL PITCHIN,HITTIN,CATCHIN

Post Thanks / Like

Well I'll be odd man out, I think there's alot of big fish in the lake right now. I also think they had a good spawn last 2 years, so I think there will be some good years in the future. I love it when it gets real high and make finding the beds hard. If it's 6 foot low this year the good fish won't last long.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that is what everyone else is eluding to.We had several years of low water plus the fact that we had a major shortage of shad for several years has led to a shortage of those 10 to11 inch fish (3 to 4 year olds). The last 2 springs with high water all year should have had a good spawn but last years temps didnt play very nice with the hatch.What good fish that are still around should be in that 12 inch plus range so there are some real pigs around.Even talking with the biologists it will take another year or two now that the shad have come back as well as some favorable spawning levels before we get spoiled with the 10 to 12 inch fish weve been spoiled with over the years.one thing I am loving is the new possesion limit on them, now if we can get them to put a min. length limit on 'em it would be even better.
    Also with the shortage of shad in 05 and 06 the walleyes and whites fed heavily on crappie fry. It sure would be nice to see the numbers and size back like they were in the late 80's.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to fish Rathbun when I lived in the Quad Cities. If it's anything like Truman here in Missouri, the fish should be bigger after real high water the year before. High water tends to keep a lot of boats off the water here. Less pressure always equals bigger fish. Of course we had high flood stage waters for two straight Springs here. High quality fish will abound this year.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.