PDA

View Full Version : How many pleasure boaters...

J White
07-01-2005, 06:17 AM
does it take to load a 20+ foot ski boat?
At least 10-
1 to back the compact SUV they're towing it with
1 to guide them back diagonally across both lanes of double ramp
1 to stand at top of ramp holding small yapping dog
1 to pilot(?) the boat
and at least 6 in the water waist deep to push/pull/tug boat onto trailer!

Wish I had a quarter for every time I've witnessed this! Don't get mad
though, just sit back and organize your tackle and enjoy the show.

P.S. If by chance they do leave enough room to sqeeze down the ramp
beside them, don't be tempted to do it - I did once, and the guy shot
the coal to it and ended up crossways of MY trailer. I started to haul
it to the top of the ramp for him, but was 'fraid it'd blow my tires :rolleyes:
If you're lucky, they'll have it squared away in 30 minutes or so and pull
to the top and stop to put away all their water toys - A diesel dually
backing past them with engine buzzing on the governor tends to break
up this party pretty good though! :D

CrappieLips
07-01-2005, 11:30 PM
That's just about the size of it JWhite I'd just set there and throw pennies like i was at a picture show hoorah oncore oncore :D :D

fiddlefarter
07-02-2005, 12:17 AM
I always enjoy watching some peoples attempts at boating. Occasionally I will politely ask if they want me to do it for them because they are taking so dang long. This try at being nice usually leads me to saying something like "well then hurry the hell up so I can go fishing." By then they are even more screwed up trying to hurry that it takes a couple more tries. Thing is I am never really in that much of a hurry. I just enjoy the show. The worst ramp experience for me was the day I walked up to get my truck to load up and a feller with two jet skis on a trailer was parked next to my truck. Thing was the door of his SUV was resting upon the side of my truck, which is a big no-no to me. I slammed his door so hard I thought it was coming off then I proceeded to call him a lot of words I'm not able to type and explain to him how he should respect other peoples stuff. He just stood there and I don't get that, he was a bit larger than me, I only stand 5'9" and 175lbs, but I guess I give off some kind of insane aura.

J White
07-02-2005, 06:23 AM
I like that! I look pretty scruffy, what with a wooly beard and the
raggedy clothes I wear fishing. Even though I generally like to be
friendly and outgoing, sometimes people snatch up small children
and move to the other side of the dock! :D A crazy look will go a long
way towards people leaving you alone.

reelcrappie
07-02-2005, 07:10 AM
It's a trip to watch some of these people launch, or attempt to launch. I'm with you on the door opened up onto your truck. If it had been me I would have gone balistic too.

fishingpox
07-02-2005, 07:28 AM
Thats a good one fiddle, was your head twitching from side to side while talking to him?

I like that! I look pretty scruffy, what with a wooly beard and the
raggedy clothes I wear fishing. Even though I generally like to be
friendly and outgoing, sometimes people snatch up small children
and move to the other side of the dock! :D A crazy look will go a long
way towards people leaving you alone.

SkyChimp
07-02-2005, 09:10 PM
Hope you folk will be gentle with me. I just bought my first boat. And my burning desire to use it is sort of tempered by my fear of launching it. I think I'll pick a nice quite weekday to get it in the water. Hope I don't make a fool of myself.

CrappieLips
07-02-2005, 10:10 PM
Hope you folk will be gentle with me. I just bought my first boat. And my burning desire to use it is sort of tempered by my fear of launching it. I think I'll pick a nice quite weekday to get it in the water. Hope I don't make a fool of myself.
YES SkyChimp we'll be gentle :D :D it just takes a little cordanation don't be afraid to drive it up on the trailer, hook the safety chain all haul but up the ramp and do the rest out of everybodys way same with launching just remember to hook the tow line to the back of your truck so you want be swimming for your boat good luck

fiddlefarter
07-03-2005, 12:28 AM
Hey if I'd have been anywhere I would have flown off the handle for someone hitting my truck with their door. And that was my old truck. I don't want to think about it happening with my new truck. Could be on the police blotter. Don't worry Skychimp, I've helped more people than I've got peed at. I don't mind giving someone a hand if they look like they need help. I can tell if someone is green as far as loading/unloading. Its the drunk posse that J White described that irks me. Of course from Memorial Day til 2 weeks after Labor Day I usually carry at least a small chip on my shoulder to the lake with me. The rest of the year the water belongs to us fishermen and hunters.

David Waters
07-03-2005, 06:54 AM
talk about a bad experience at the ramp, came in from a Tuesday night bass tournament about 2 years ago at 10:30 pm, someone just prior to that had backed their truck (a jeep) and some how slipped out of gear and it backed right down the ramp into the water in about 25 feet. You could barely see the lights still burning as 55 or 60 bass boats were waiting in the harbor trying to figure out what to do. It finally was pulled out about 3am. Most fisherman however had run to another ramp. It was a weird night that night.

Oh, also witnessed this. Almost forgot. Right after I had bought my first bass boat, I was fishing by myself and had come in to load my boat. A couple of men were pulling thier boat out of the water as I got to the peir. Looked like they hadn't done this very much. Well, one man drove the nice challenger bass boat on the trailer and hopped out and latched it on, but all this took minute as I stood on the peir to make sure they didn't need any help. The guy in the truck, before pulling forward and giving it gas, pushed in the clutch and the truck eased back a bit. This was just enough for the wind to push the boat sideways offcenter of the trailer. Then, without looking back, he gunned it. The boat hull centered the wheel fender of the trailer, then just as the boat cleared the water, it came smashing down on it side and was drug up the ramp about 15-20 feet as at least 15 people were screaming at this guy to stop. I will never forget that sound of the boat hitting the lunch and it being drug across concrete. It took us about an hour to get it back into the water putting drift wood under it and sliding it down the ramp. What a day.

J White
07-03-2005, 10:56 AM
Hey man, didn't mean to come off as intolerant. Just my attempt at a
little humor. Some folks get mad at me 'cause I'm usually by myself
or only my girl with me, so I have to let truck sit on ramp while I run to
the dock. Like the other guys said, the main thing is doing what you can
(tying down, putting up tackle, etc.) out of the main path. I usually crank
down the winch and then go look for a shade tree to park under and tidy up.
I will walk around the boat at least twice after I think I've got everything
put up just to make sure. Oh, and never lay anything down you don't want
to lose! I've drove off with life jackets hanging on the side and not missed
them till its too late. Seen friends do this with cameras, GPS, cell phones
too! For me, the revelation on easy loading was how far to back in. A lot
of folks back to deep. I watch how much trailer fender I've got sticking
up above the water. About 1" works for me on most ramps, course every
rig/ramp is a little different. Enjoy that new boat, good fishin to you :)

CrappieLips
07-03-2005, 08:09 PM
boy david;;; I bet that made that fellow sick

reelcrappie
07-04-2005, 03:09 AM
Skychimp, don't worry, just be considerate of the other people at the ramp. Stop well away from the ramp and get everything ready. Put everything in the boat that you will be taking with you before you back down the ramp. I think you will find that most fishermen will be more than glad to help when you launch. You are right about waiting until the ramp traffic is light, that way you won't feel rushed. Good luck with your new boat.

LBM
07-04-2005, 10:23 AM
Skychimp
I can tell you are trying to learn all you can and that you won't be a problem on the ramp while launching or loading. The other folks pretty well covered the basics on getting everything ready to go before ever tying up the ramp. The ramp lanes should just be used or tied up for actual launching or loading not getting stuff into or out of the boat.
When I was just starting to learn one of the best pieces of advice I ever got for backing the trailer was 'to go slow and don't over steer while backing up'. I can also tell you that if and when you learn to use your rear view mirrows while backing you'll find backing a whole lot less troublsome plus the added confidence you'll have while actually using the ramp.
One thing that helped me while loading the boat with roller waves pounding the ramp was to not put the trailer back into the water as far as you normally would with calmer water. The boat can be kept from bouncing around by first getting the bow of the boat forced into the trailer bunks. After getting the bow forced onto the bunks gun the motor some forcing your boat onto the trailer by reving the motor. Note don't reve the motor until you have made contact with the bunks because you don't want to smack the trailer. At this point if I haven't made contact with the bow eye and the rubber stop I will leave the boat in gear with the motor reved a little bit then go hook the winch hook to the bow eye and winch it in letting the motor help snug the boat onto the bunks.
Another troublsome time for boaters is trying to load the boat with a cross wind. With this situation one must approach the tailer aiming the bow towards the trailer side bunk or even the trailer wheel depending on how much cross wind there is. If the aiming point you are using doesn't line you up where you want to be back out and come back in using a different aiming point that will get you lined up where you want the boat to be. On really windy days when I don't plan on fishing anyway I jokingly mention to other boaters that this would sure be a good day to go out and practice their launching and loading skills.

For me the times when I ended up launching the boat without the plug was when I didn't follow my established launching routine. :o Someone came up and talked with me while preparing to launch or even when someone was with me and I didn't follow my rountine.

I had a fishing friend who bought a boat but he never gained the experience and confidence to be comfortable going to the lake by himself. Guess fishing for him was a social experience were as for me being out and fishing was the experience. Anyhow someone sure bought a nice boat from him.

Have fun and good luck with getting your new boat ready for all that enjoyment. Hope these tid bits didn't bore you and thought they might help you with your boat learning process.

KARL
07-04-2005, 11:05 AM
...something to make it easier while backing....keep your hand on bottom of steering wheel and turn wheel in direction you want trailer to go....turn right--trailer will go right.....easy...as others have said just take it slow and steady .....remember the way to carnegie hall-----practice practice practice...if need be go to large parking lot somewhere and practice backing into spots unless your yard is big enough to practice in....just remember 1 thing......HAVE FUN.. :cool:

fiddlefarter
07-04-2005, 06:23 PM
When I was 14 my dad used to let me drive home from fishing. One day he said I needed practice backing the trailer so he took me to a subdivision they were building and made me back down the roads. He pushed the rear view mirror up so I couldn't see out of it and sternly told me "you don't use that mirror in a truck, use the mirrors on the sides." Good advice. I rarely use the rear view even now, unless I'm checking on whats in the back of the truck or the boat. He would also put the heat on me and make me back into the driveway. That was tough cause we lived on a busy road and cars would be sitting there and I would get some kind of frazzled. After the subdivision trial I was a lot more comfortable doing it though. Now I can back a trailer in your front door if thats where you want it. Course I did lawn care for 8 years and I pulled trailers all over TN. Basically its like KARL said: practice...

LBM
07-04-2005, 07:15 PM
Fiddlefarter is right about using the side mirrors. My above post did say rearview mirror but I should have said side rearview mirror.

The big thing I noticed using the side mirrors was that by looking in the mirror I could see two straight lines (the truck one line and the trailer the other line) and the angle they formed. If the angle started getting to tight while backing I could just pull forward just enought to open the angle up just a bit so I didn't have to turn the wheel so suverely to back the trailer where I needed to go. While backing up I visulize the curve I need to follow to get the trailer to where I want to get to and follow the curve with the truck line and the trailer line.

For some reason when I looked over my shoulder while backing I wasn't able to dicern the vechile line and the trailer line as well as it seems to pop out while using the side mirror.

After too many years of looking over my shoulder to back I finally decided it was time to try and learn to back with the side mirror. For me it has been a real eye opener and now realize I should have been doing it sooner.

Crappie Chatt
07-05-2005, 08:51 AM
Lee,,,I told you to never use the Marysville ramp at Hillsdale!!! :D :D :D Good advise here. Hope most that read it,,,use it!! <*)}}}><

LBM
07-05-2005, 12:06 PM
CC
Wished I had received your orders on Marysville ramp sooner. I lanched from there at daylight and fished till 11 am. Only caught 3 short crappie and one of them was snagged. Haven't been to Hillsdale for crappie since 6/20 so have lost track of them.
Are you are trying to tell me that fish can't be caught if you launch from the Marysville's ramp. :D As for me today that was very true. Next time how about making this valuable info available to me before I go to the lake. ;) :D :D

Crappie Chatt
07-05-2005, 12:17 PM
Lee, the "LAST" time I used that ramp,,,,I had to un-hook my trailer to get out of the parking spot. They had me so crowded in :mad: ,, I couldn't turn the wheels to get out. Was I Mad at them???? NO!!! I was mad at myself. I've never had a good experience there. I know better but,,,My Mistake :D Lee,,,Lets get together and we'll try for some of those 'shallow-Summertime-slabs'. Now to be knowed as 'SSS'. How's the water clairity at Hillsdale?? <*)}}}><

crowderj
07-06-2005, 07:32 AM
I saw a good un on Jordan (NC) this past weekend. Some rich dude with his family and their dog ! (cilche) had obviously just bought a brand new SEADOO boat. The woman had backed the trailer so far back into the water that the rear end of their new SUV was in the water and the trailer was completly submerged. the man took about 15 minutes going back and forth trying to get the boat onto a trailer that was completly submerged. It was funny watching that yuppy goback and forth back and forth. Good thing there was 3 other ramps or he would ve gotten some help whether he wanted it or not.