Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: transducer mounting ????

Post Thanks / Like

Default transducer mounting ????

im mounting my transducer to my trolling motor and cant figure out which way it goes.does the pointed end need to go in the direction im facing the motor or does the bigger end go that away.what im saying is which end reads,and should it be pointed out in front of the boat toward what im casting to

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 78mudbug View Post
    im mounting my transducer to my trolling motor and cant figure out which way it goes.does the pointed end need to go in the direction im facing the motor or does the bigger end go that away.what im saying is which end reads,and should it be pointed out in front of the boat toward what im casting to
    I'm pretty sure it needs to go with the pointed end forward and the cable up.
    the bottom flat side does the sonar pinks or reads. Unless you have a side scan then it also reads or scans from the sides also.
    Hope this helps.
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to make a statement here and I am not sure I know what I'm talking about. I think that the signal emitter and receiver are on the bottom of the transducer. The shape is for use on the transom so it will go through the water without making a lot of bubbles or 'noise'. I have seen some of the transducers for trolling motora that are round. So I guess I would put the pointed or round end forward. Someone who knows will answer I'm sure.

A day late, a dollar short and two drinks behind.

Post Thanks / Like

ok thats how i got it just wanted to make sure thanks guys

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink I don't think it matters ...

which direction it's pointed (unless it's SI). The sound waves travel down in a cone shape, and the readings are dependant upon which direction the transducer is going, since it reads whatever is within the cone ... comes into the cone ... or leaves the cone.
    Puck style transducers are round, meant to be placed underneath a TM head ... but they don't have a front/rear marking on them, so it don't matter which end is facing forward. The front edge of the cone is determined by which direction the transducer is traveling ... forward/back/sideways/etc.
    The "home plate" shaped transducers are for use on the transom, and their shape is for mounting purposes, rather than a front/back setup scheme. Same deal with them, the direction of the cone creates the picture.

If it didn't work this way ... transducers would have to have arrows on them, to show you which way it had to go, in order to read

... cp

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

CP is correct. But if you put the pointed end fwd then the water will flow around it more smoothly.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Yea

The pointed end should go forward, like mounting on the transom
    It will have less drag w/rounded head forward...I dont know what brand you
    have but... I have fishmark 480 by eagle(lowrence)I called them and the ladies said they will switch it out for the puck style which is more suited for the trolling motor. Just send the transom mount back in the envelope..This was a new unit though ...Great service, no charge if I recall, maybe 3$
    to send back..